In the event that you are unable to attend classes due to unavoidable circumstances such as illness or the death of a family member, please inform your instructors of your absence from classes. Each instructor will determine how to handle your absence in these cases. Please refer to the course syllabus to confirm how absences are treated with regards to grading.
These procedures, however, will differ in cases of long-term absence. Please read the following information for details and application instructions.
In the event a student is absent for 1-3 weeks due to personal illness or injury, or due to bereavement leave of up to 7 days due to the death of parent, spouse or child, or up to 5 days due to the death of grand parent or brother/sister, the University may issue a "Report of Absence from Class". If a student is absent for less than one week due to personal illness or injury, a "Report of Absence from Class" cannot be issued. Please explain your circumstances to your instructors directly.
Please note that this "Report of Absence from Class" does not automatically guarantee approval of the absence however. All decisions regarding absence from class are the prerogative of individual instructors.
A "Report of Absence from Class" cannot be issued for personal or family issues. If you will be absent for reasons other than those shown below, please consult directly with your instructor.
|Reason for Absence||Application Criteria||Official Certificates Required*1|
|Illness / Injury||Absent for 1 - 3 weeks (at least 5 class days in a row) due to personal illness or injury. This report does not apply to illnesses or injuries of a family member or friend.||Medical certificate (Shindansho) or a "Certificate Proving Hospital Visit"*2 which includes the period of hospitalization or treatment and the reason for his/her class absence, plus the receipt for medical expenses|
|Bereavement||Applicable for 7 days including public holidays due to the death of parent, spouse or child, or 5 days including public holidays from the date of death due to the death of grandparent or brother/sister. If a student is absent longer than the applicable period for attending a funeral, whether inside Japan or overseas, then the student should consult with the Academic Office in advance. In such cases, any public transportation ticket(s) used showing the boarding date and the boarding section need to be submitted when applying.||Funeral attendance letter (original) or official death certificate showing the date of death (copy)|
- As a rule, official certificates should be written in either English or Japanese. However, if you cannot secure a certificate in English or Japanese, please submit the original official certificate along with a brief translation into English or Japanese.
- Download the application form and fill in one form per subject.
- Attach an official original Medical certificate or “Certificate Proving Hospital Visit” that clearly states the reason for and duration of absence, as well as an original receipt for medical services. Submit these along with the application form to the Academic Office.
- An Academic Office staff member will check your official medical certificate and original receipt for medical services. If there are no mistakes, the staff member will stamp the application forms with the office seal and return it to the student.
- The student will submit the stamped forms to the instructors.
You must apply by 16:30 on the last class day (excluding final exams and make-up classes) for the relevant subject. Late applications cannot be accepted.
In the event a student is absent for more than half the term of a semester, quarter-length or a session course due to illness or personal injury, for those students who meet the following conditions for Long-Term absence and submit an application by the deadline, course registration for the period of absence will be cancelled. Please note that if cancellation is approved, all courses in the affected semester, quarter or session will be cancelled. You may not cancel only specific subjects.
- If a student is absent for more than half the term of a course due to illness or injury, etc., the student must prove his/her absence with an objective document. For session courses, the absence must be due to illness, injury (only in the case of hospitalization), infectious disease or bereavement (application criteria for an absence due to bereavement are the same as the short term absence criteria due to bereavement), and the absence must be proven by official documents.
- The absence must have been unforeseen during the registration correction period.
- The reason for the absence cannot be the result of actions willfully taken by the student.
*Only students who meet the conditions above are eligible to apply for the cancellation of a course.
- The student's attendance record until the absence must have been good.
- Must be a student's own illness or injury. Absences resulting from the illness or injury of a family member or friend are not eligible.
- If the student will be absent from the course due to reasons other than the above, such as extracurricular activities or job-hunting for more than half the term of the session course, and s/he wishes to cancel the session course, the student must visit the Academic Office no later than the day before the session course starts.
Students must notify the Academic Office as soon as a situation requiring a long-term absence arises. Students must file an application along with official original certificate and original medical expense receipts during the appropriate application period as shown below.
|Reason||Original Official Certificate(s) Required|
|Illness, injury or infectious disease||Medical certificate which includes the period of hospitalization or treatment and the reason for her/his class absence plus the receipt for medical expenses|
|Bereavement||Funeral thank you letter or official death certificate showing the date of death.|
The following are submission deadlines for each subject type. Applications submitted after the respective deadline will not be accepted.
|Subject Type||Application Deadline|
|1st Quarter Subjects||By 16:30 on the last day that 1st quarter classes are being held (excluding final exams and make-up classes).|
|Semester/2nd Quarter Subjects||By 16:30 on the last day that 2nd quarter classes are being held (excluding final exams and make-up classes).|
|Session Subjects||By 16:30 on the last day that session classes are being held.|
Class Absences due to Infectious Disease
In the case a student misses classes due to an Infectious Disease recognized by the Japanese School Health Law, these missed classes will be treated as a recognized absence if a Certificate of Recovery from Infectious Disease (linked below) is completed by a medical institution and submitted to the University. Only students who have contracted one of the recognized diseases listed below are eligible. Students with other illnesses such as the common cold are NOT eligible.
Infectious Diseases Recognized by the Japanese School Health Law:
|Category 1||Avian influenza (H5N1) etc.|
Influenza (excluding avian influenza (H5N1), whooping cough, measles,
mumps, rubella, chicken pox, pharyngoconjunctival fever, tuberculosis and
Cholera, shigellosis, enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli infection, typhoid fever,
paratyphoid fever, EKC: epidemic keratoconjunctivitis, acute hemorrhaging conjunctivitis,
infectious gastroenteritis (only norovirus, rotavirus ), mycoplasma infection, shingles and other infectious disease
How to Apply
Once you have identified your disease as one of those listed above, please complete the following steps.
Receive the diagnosis of "infectious disease" from a hospital
- Keep all medical receipts for submission later
- Notify the Student Office by e-mail immediately that you have contracted one of the diseases listed above.
- Rest at home until you are recovered
Once you have recovered from your illness, bring a blank "Certificate of Recovery from Infectious Disease" form to the same hospital and have it completed by the doctor.
- Keep all medical receipts for submission later
Submit the following documents to the Academic Office by the application deadline:
- Certificate of Recovery from a Legal Infectious Disease
- Medical receipts
- If you missed any exams during your absence, please submit a "Request for make-up Exam" form to the Academic Office. Instructions are available on the Academic Office website "Make-up Exams".
Applications must be submitted by 16:30 on the last class day of the term in which the relevant subjects are held (excluding final examination and make-up class days). (For session subjects, applications must be submitted by 16:30 on the final day of class for the subject in question.) Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
Other Reasons for Absences
- Absence due to job-hunting activities: Please consult with the Career Office
- Absence due to extracurricular activities: Please consult with the Student Office
- Absence due to Japan's lay judge system or other trial-related reasons: Please consult with the Academic Office beforehand