Due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus, the procedure for class absences at the counter will be temporarily closed and will only be accepted via email. Please confirm the changes from "Application Method".
※Applicable Period: By the end of the second quarter
※As a rule, official certificates should be written in either English or Japanese. However, if you cannot secure a certificate in English or Japanese, please submit the original official certificate along with a brief translation into English or Japanese.
In the event that you are unable to attend classes due to unavoidable circumstances such as illness or the death of a family member, please inform your instructors of your absence from classes. Each instructor will determine how to handle your absence in these cases. Please refer to the course syllabus to confirm how absences are treated with regards to grading.
These procedures, however, will differ depending on the length of the period absent. Please read the following information for details and application instructions.
In the event a student is absent for 1-3 weeks due to personal illness or injury, or due to bereavement leave of up to 7 days due to the death of parent, spouse or child, or up to 5 days due to the death of grand parent or brother/sister, the University may issue a "Report of Absence from Class". If a student is absent for less than one week due to personal illness or injury, a "Report of Absence from Class" cannot be issued. Please explain your circumstances to your instructors directly.
Please note that this "Report of Absence from Class" does not automatically guarantee approval of the absence however. All decisions regarding absence from class are the prerogative of individual instructors.
A "Report of Absence from Class" cannot be issued for personal or family issues. If you will be absent for reasons other than those shown below, please consult directly with your instructor.
|Reason for Absence||Application Criteria||Official Certificates Required|
|Illness / Injury||Absent for 1 - 3 weeks (at least 5 class days in a row) due to personal illness or injury. This report does not apply to illnesses or injuries of a family member or friend.||a copy of your Medical certificate (Shindansho) or "Certificate Proving Hospital Visit" which includes the period of hospitalization or treatment and the reason for the class absence, plus the receipt for medical expenses|
|Bereavement||Applicable for 7 days including public holidays from the date of death (or funeral) of parent, spouse or child, or 5 days including public holidays from the date of death (or funeral) of a grandparent or sibling. If a student is absent for longer than the applicable period due to being in transit, whether within Japan or overseas, the student should consult with the Academic Office in advance. In such cases, any public transport ticket(s) used showing the boarding date and the boarding section need to be submitted when applying.||a copy of either the Funeral attendance letter or official death certificate showing the date of death|
Application Method (Temporary changes due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus are shown in red.)
- Download the “Report of Absence from Class” and fill in one form per subject.
Submit these together with the relevant forms below to firstname.lastname@example.org.
【Illness / Injury / Infectious Disease】
①A copy of your official Medical certificate or “Certificate Proving Hospital Visit” that clearly states the reason for and duration of absence.
②A copy of the receipt for medical services.
③A copy of a valid student ID or other valid photo ID
④Report of Absence from Class(Completed).
①A copy of either the Funeral attendance letter or official death certificate showing the date of death.
②A copy of a valid student ID or other valid photo ID
③Report of Absence from Class(Completed).
- An Academic Office staff member will check your official medical certificate and original receipt for medical services. If there are no mistakes, the staff member will stamp the application forms with the office seal and return it to the student via e-mail.
The student will submit the stamped forms to the instructors via e-mail (Please refer to the syllabus for faculty email addresses.)
* There may be instances where the University requests you to submit original documents. Please store your original documents safely even after you have applied. Please also note that forging documents is a serious offense and may result in disciplinary measures.
You must apply by 16:30 on the last class day (excluding final exams and make-up classes) for the relevant subject. Late applications cannot be accepted.
In some cases a student may be absent for more than half the term of a course (or more than quarter the term of the course for language subjects, Study Skills and Academic Writing, or Multicultural Cooperative Workshop) due to illness or personal injury. If those students meet the following conditions for a Long-Term Absence and submit an application by the deadline, course registration for the period of absence will be cancelled. Please note that if cancellation is approved, all courses in the affected semester or quarter will be cancelled. You may not cancel only specific subjects.
- If a student is absent for more than half the term of a course due to illness or injury, etc., the student must prove his/her absence with an objective document. For session courses, the absence must be due to illness, injury (only in the case of hospitalization), infectious disease or bereavement (application criteria for an absence due to bereavement are the same as the short term absence criteria due to bereavement), and the absence must be proven by official documents.
- The absence must have been unforeseen during the registration correction period.
- The reason for the absence cannot be the result of actions willfully taken by the student.
*Only students who meet the conditions above are eligible to apply for the cancellation of a course.
- The student's attendance record until the absence must have been good.
- Must be a student's own illness or injury. Absences resulting from the illness or injury of a family member or friend are not eligible.
- If the student will be absent from the course due to reasons other than the above, such as extracurricular activities or job-hunting for more than half the term of the session course, and s/he wishes to cancel the session course, the student must visit the Academic Office no later than the day before the session course starts.
Application Method (Temporary changes due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus are shown in red.)
Students must notify email@example.com as soon as a situation requiring a long-term absence arises. Students must file an application along with ①original official certificate, ②original medical expense receipts, and ③valid student ID or other valid photo ID during the appropriate application period as shown below.
|Reason||Original Official Certificate(s) Required|
|Illness/Injury||Medical certificate which includes the period of hospitalization or treatment and the reason for the class absence plus the receipt for medical expenses|
|Bereavement||Funeral thank you letter or official death certificate showing the date of death.|
The following are submission deadlines for each subject type. Applications submitted after the respective deadline will not be accepted.
|Subject Type||Application Deadline|
|1st Quarter Subjects||By 16:30 on the last day that 1st Quarter classes are being held (excluding final examinations and make-up classes).|
|Semester/2nd Quarter Subjects||By 16:30 on the last day that 2nd Quarter classes are being held (excluding final examinations and make-up classes).|
|Session Subjects||By 16:30 on the last day of the session class you are taking.|
Class Absences due to Infectious Disease
※As all classes for the AY 2020 Spring semester are being held online, there is no risk of infecting other students and therefore the Academic Office is not currently accepting applications for absences due to infectious disease. If you are eligible to apply for either a short-term or long-term absence, please do so according to the respective guidelines.
In the case a student misses classes due to an Infectious Disease as defined by the Japanese School Health and Safety Act, these missed classes will be treated as a recognized absence by submitting to the University an original "Certificate of Recovery from Infectious Disease" (which may be downloaded from the Class Absences page of the Academic Office website) completed by a medical institution, along with a medical expenses receipt.
Please note that if the Certificate of Recovery from Infectious Disease does not indicate that the absence was by doctor's order, then the illness will not be considered an infectious disease even if it is included on the list of recognized Infectious Diseases.
Infectious Diseases Recognized by the Japanese School Health Law:
|Category 1||Avian influenza (H5N1) etc.|
Influenza (excluding avian influenza (H5N1), whooping cough, measles,
mumps, rubella, chicken pox, pharyngoconjunctival fever, tuberculosis and
Cholera, shigellosis, enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli infection, typhoid fever,
paratyphoid fever, EKC: epidemic keratoconjunctivitis, acute hemorrhaging conjunctivitis,
infectious gastroenteritis (only norovirus, rotavirus ), mycoplasma infection, shingles and other infectious disease
Application Method ＊Applications for AY 2020 Spring Semester are currently not being accepted
Once you have identified your disease as one of those listed above, please complete the following steps.
- Receive the diagnosis of "infectious disease" from a hospital.
- Notify the Academic Office by e-mail immediately that you have contracted one of the diseases listed above.
- Rest at home until you are recovered
Once you have recovered from your illness, bring a blank "Certificate of Recovery from Infectious Disease" form to the same hospital and have it completed by the doctor.
※ Keep all medical receipts for submission later
Submit the following documents to the Academic Office by the application deadline:
① Certificate of Recovery from a Legal Infectious Disease
② Medical receipts
Application Deadline＊Applications for AY 2020 Spring Semester are currently not being accepted
Applications must be submitted by 16:30 on the last class day of the term in which the relevant subjects are held (excluding final examination and make-up class days). (For session subjects, applications must be submitted by 16:30 on the final day of class for the subject in question.) Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
Other Reasons for Absences
- Absence due to job-hunting activities: Please consult with the Career Office
- Absence due to extracurricular activities: Please consult with the Student Office
- Absence due to Japan's lay judge system or other trial-related reasons: Please consult with the Academic Office beforehand