When it is not possible to take an exam due to natural disaster or unavoidable personal reasons such as a hospitalization, sudden illness, accident, or job interview, an “Application for Make-up Examination” (available at the Academic Office) may be submitted after the examination has finished. The form must be submitted within one week, including the day of the examination (i.e., If your examination was scheduled for a Thursday, you have until the following Wednesday to submit the application). Students are required to submit the original official certificate. Copies are not accepted.
There is no limit to the number of make-up assignments a student may complete. Students must pay a make-up examination fee for each subject (in the form of a certificate worth 1,000 JPY). Depending on the subject, the make-up examination may be in the form of a written test or a report. In the case that a student cannot come to the Academic Office, a proxy may submit the application. Applications by phone, email, (insert comma) or FAX, however, will not be accepted.
- The form must be submitted within one week, including the day of the examination. (For example, if your exam was scheduled for a Thursday, you have until the following Wednesday to submit the application. (insert period)
Documents Required for Application
- Application for Make-up Examination (available in the Academic Office)
- An appropriate original official certificate as indicated below (copies are not acceptable)
- A 1,000 JPY per subject make-up examination fee (payable in the form of a certificate worth 1,000 JPY).
|Reason for Not Taking Examination||Necessary Document or Requirement|
|Illness of the student||Medical expense receipt and one from the following documents; medical certificates (Shindansho), “Certificate Proving Hospital Visit” or “Certificate of Recovery from Infectious Disease.” (Medical certificate which includes the day you went to the hospital or the period of hospitalization or treatment - only effective if the date of issue is included on the exam day.)|
|Bereavement (death of a relative to the 2nd degree, i.e. spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild)||Official death certificate with the actual date of death (Funeral thank you letter or official death certificate showing the date of death applicable for 7 days, including public holidays, from the date of death of parent, spouse or child, or 5 days, including public holidays, from the date of death of grandparent or brother/sister).|
|Disaster||Certificate for disaster victim|
|Job interview||Official document to certify job interview (available at the Career Office)|
|Graduate school examination||Examination admission slip|
|Transportation delay||Delay certificate from transportation company|
|Absence connected to Japan's lay judge system||Advance permission from the Dean of Academic Affairs|
|Unavoidable reasons such as participation in extracurricular activities||Advance permission from the Dean of Academic Affairs|
Number of Make-up Exams
There is no limit to the number of exams eligible for make-up.
Submit Application to
- Applications will not be accepted via phone, FAX, or e-mail.
- In the case that a student cannot come to the Academic Office, another student may submit the application as a proxy.
- You will not be permitted to take a make-up examination for reasons that are not included in above the chart.
- These rules only apply to examinations held in the final examination period.
- There is no official make-up examination system for mid-term examinations. Please seek advice from the individual instructor in these cases.
Students participating in APU's English Teaching Certificate Program who cannot take both the original exam and the make-up exam due to teaching practicum, etc., should consult with the Academic Office in advance.
*These forms can be downloaded from the page "Make-up Examinations" of the Academic Office website.
Make-up Examination Schedule
|Course Offered||Make-up Examination Date|
|Spring||1st Quarter||Wed. June 13, 2018|
|2nd Quarter||Tue. August 7, Wed. August 8, 2018|
|Fall||1st Quarter||Wed. December 5, 2018|
|2nd Quarter||Fri. February 15, Sat. February 16, 2019|