For students at APU it is a graduation requirement to take language subjects in one's non-basis language. The starting level of these non-basis language courses is determined by the placement test taken at the time of enrollment. In the following instances, however, it is possible for AY 2011 Curriculum students to apply for exemption for English classes.
- Must be "studying abroad" or taking a "leave of absence" at the time of application
- Must have received a score for a university-designated language proficiency exam while studying abroad or taking a leave of absence, and must be able to submit the application for exemption one semester before returning to the university
|English Course||Subject Name||
|Standard Track||Elementary English A & B||37|
|Pre-Intermediate English A & B||48|
|Intermediate English A & B||55|
|Upper-Intermediate A & B||61|
|Advanced Track||Advanced English 1A & 1B||71|
|Advanced English 2A & 2B||80|
- Only TOEFL/IBT scores are valid. TOEFL/PBT, TOEFL/ITP and TOEFL/CBT scores may not be used.
||AY 2019 Spring Semester Applications||AY 2019 Fall Semester Applications|
|Application Period||Mon. July 15 - Fri. August 23, 2019 at 16:30||Mon. January 20 - Fri. February 28, 2020 at 16:30|
|Screening and Interviews (planned)||Mon. September 2 - Wed. September 4, 2019||Mon. March 2 - Wed. March 4, 2020|
|Exemption Takes Effect||AY 2019 Fall Semester||AY 2020 Spring Semester|
Please submit the original university-specified language proficiency test score sheet or certificate within the designated application period. Comprehensive screening will be conducted by interview.
Submit the following documents to the Academic Office by the application deadline
- Attend interview
An "original score sheet (The score within the validated period.)" is a certificate or report from a testing organization which shows an evaluation of language ability. This must be printed by the testing organization itself, and downloaded documents will not be accepted. Please note that the testing organizations may require several days in order to reissue score sheets, therefore we ask that you apply well in advance when an additional certificate is needed.
In the event you are unable to attend the interview, your application will be invalidated. Please be sure to arrange your schedule to allow your attendance.
- APU will not accept photocopied, faxed or emailed documents.
- Submitted documents cannot be returned.
- Applications must be brought to the office in person or sent by post. (must arrive by the deadline)
Please note that in the following instances applications will be invalidated and exemption will not be possible.
- Application is incomplete or incorrect
- Application documents are not submitted or do not arrive by the deadline
- Score sheet is a non-original document (e.g. photocopy or screenshot)
- Score is not the one specified in the exemption criteria
- Score was not attained during a "study abroad" or while taking a "leave of absence"
- Student does not attend on the date of the interview (for any reason)