The Writing Center was created in April of 2011 with the aim of improving both the English and Japanese academic writing abilities for undergraduate students. This is a place for you to check the level of your writing skills, as well as improve them. Feel free to visit the Writing Center not just for help writing class reports, but also any other kind of writing support you may need. Refined writing skills are crucial, not only as a student here or at any other university, but in the working world as well. Please make the most of the services the center has to offer to gain the writing skills you need!
"To produce better writers, not better writing"
The APU Writing Center provides students with workshops and individualized teaching, with the goal of nurturing “self-reliant writers” through supporting students wanting to improve themselves. “Self-reliant writers” are those who are able to notice problems in their own writings and make corrections by themselves.
At the Writing Center, undergraduate students can get one-on-one individualized instruction with one of our tutors. If you have ever had any of the following concerns, please visit us for assistance!
“I was assigned a paper in class, but I don’t know what I should write on, or how to write about it…”
It’s ok, even if you haven’t started writing yet. By discussing the topic with a tutor, we will help you put your thoughts together and make them into writing.
“I finished my report, but I don’t know if it’s really OK the way it is… Can someone look it over?”
Tutors will not correct or do any touch ups to your text, but will help you to find potential problematic points in your writing by yourself. This is the first step in becoming a “self-reliant writer”.
Class writings can be assisted by domestic student tutors for Japanese-based assignments, and international student tutors for English-based assignments. Each session is 40 minutes.
The writing center does not assist with the following
- We will not be held accountable in any way for your grades. (Even if the text you brought to the writing center gets an F, we are not responsible for that)
- We will not proofread your reports.
- We will not read over, think over, or write about reference materials for you
- We will not check for grammar mistakes just before your report’s submission deadline.
- We are not able to help with the following types of documents:
- masters level class reports
- masters thesis, doctorate thesis
- resumes (CV)
- cover letters
- graduate school applications
- foreign exchange applications
- scholarship applications
- translating reports
Things to do before your session
- Make a reservation from here.
- Please make sure to bring the following to your session:
- At the beginning of your session, please establish your goal with the tutor.
You can make a reservation up to two weeks from the day you would like to make a reservation.
If there are no previous reservations, we may be able to check your text on the spot.
The assignment given in class
(※ Even if it is just unfinished text, please bring it.)
2018 Spring Semester Writing Center Hours
- April 23, 2018 - May 25, 2018
- Jun 4, 2018 - Jul 20, 2018
Writing Center will be closed during the final exam and quarter break.
Library, 1st floor
Please take the survey after the tutorila to make the Writing Center (English) a better place.