You can participate in curricular short-term programs offered at APU’s partner universities. Due to the spread of COVID-19, we are only recruiting participants for online programs during the 2020 fall semester. Because many programs center on intensive courses in English, you must possess a high level of English proficiency prior to participation. If approved by Academic Affairs, credits obtained during short-term programs will be transferred back to APU and counted toward the credit requirements for graduation. Credits obtained from short-term programs will not be counted toward the fixed maximum number of credits for which students may register during the 2020 fall semester.
AY2020 Recruitment Information
You can apply for any short-term programs offered at one of APU’s partner universities, as long as the program can be completed entirely online. Please research program information, including eligibility, program dates, language(s) of instruction, fees, and the number of credits, before applying for the APU internal screening.
Overseas Short-Term Winter Programs (XLSX) (Updated October 30, 2020)
Overseas Short-Term Winter Programs Application Information (PDF)
- Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for APU partner university programs that end by March 31, 2021 (As many programs center on intensive study in English, applicants must often have a high level of English at the time of their application.)
Applicants must be between their first and seventh semesters at the time of their application. Students are not eligible to apply during their final semester.
*Applicants enrolled in the Accelerated Program are also not eligible to apply during their final semester.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students. Postgraduate students are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have a student status of “enrolled” or “exchange” for the 2020 fall semester.
- Applicants must not possess a passport for the country or region of the university they wish to apply to. If an applicant possesses a passport for the country or region of the university they wish to apply to, they must have received less than four years of education in that country or region after Junior High School (beyond G7).
- In the case that applicants participate in multiple programs, the timing of those programs must not overlap.
- If the time period of a program overlaps with the APU 2020 Fall semester class period (until February 12, 2020), no more than a total of six credits can be obtained through that program. This includes not only credits obtained through short-term student exchange programs, but also credits obtained through the following programs: The Open University of Japan, Curricular Exchange with Oita University, Oita University On Demand, or credits transferred from the Oita Learning (Toyono Manabi) Consortium.
How to Apply
Step 1 Online Survey
- Please upload a copy of an English Proficiency Score (TOEFL etc.) if you have one.
- If you possess a passport for the country/region of the short-term program in which you wish to participate, please upload documents that can verify your academic records from junior high school onwards.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected automatically.
- Upon completion of the online application, please click “Print Your Answers” to print out the application record. If you have specific questions about the content of your application, you must bring a printout of the application record with you to the Academic Office. We will be unable to answer specific questions without this record.
- For short-term programs requiring a home university nomination, we will nominate students in the order in which we receive their applications.
Send the Tentative Credit Transfer Form and syllabi of the courses you are planning to take at your host university to the Academic Office <email@example.com>. If no syllabi are available, please create a document containing the relevant program information. Please check “Notes when Submitting Syllabi” for further details.
Application Deadlines: Deadlines will vary for each program. Students are responsible for confirming deadlines on their own and applying well in advance of the deadline.
(Final Deadlines and Guidance Session Schedule)
|Short-Term Winter Programs||APU internal screening application deadline||Guidance sessions for accepted applicants|
|Applicants who wish to participate in short-term programs that start by February 5, 2021||November 4, 2020||
November 11, 2020
|Applicants who wish to participate in short-term programs that start from February 6, 2021 onwards||January 6, 2021||
January 13, 2021
Documents for Submission: Accepted Students
- Consent Form (PDF)
- Overseas Short-Term Summer/Winter Programs Report (DOC)
- Notice of Completion of Exchange (PDF)
- Credit Transfer Request Form (DOC)
- Academic Transcript
Short-Term Summer / Winter Program Team