Applicants need to have a strong interest in Japanese language and culture and must meet at least one of the following two requirements;
- Applicants must be enrolled in a Japanese or foreign university, or an equivalent institution of higher education, for the period that includes the date of application until the date of program completion, or graduated from a university or equivalent institution of higher education.
- Applicant must be a graduate of a high school or other secondary education institution, or he or she must have completed 12 years of school education in a foreign country, or equivalent schooling, and must be scheduled to enroll in a two-year college or four-year university in Japan or another country.
English requirement for non-native English speakers
|500 or above||61 or above||700 or above||5.5 or above|
It is your own responsibility to check and confirm current visa requirements to enter Japan with the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate. If you are required to obtain a visa, please notify APU Academic Office well in advance. Students from the U.S. and other countries which have Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan may not require a visa.
Guide to Japanese Visas (MOFA website)
The Japan National Health Insurance plan (NHI) is not available to short-term students in Japan. If you become ill or get injured during your stay in Japan, the high medical costs you may incur will be entirely your own responsibility. In order to prepare for such a situation, APU policy mandates that short-term, international students must have health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the coverage set below as a condition of enrollment.
Please make sure to purchase a suitable insurance policy before departure, and remember to bring a copy of your insurance certificate with you when you come to Japan.
If the certificate is written in a language other than English or Japanese, be sure to bring an English or Japanese translation.
Minimum Levels of Coverage Required
|Insurance Coverage||Amount in Japanese Yen||Amount in US Dollars|
|Injury Death||15,000,000 JPY||150,000 USD|
|Injury Treatment||5,000,000 JPY||50,000 USD|
|Sickness Death||5,000,000 JPY||50,000 USD|
|Sickness Treatment||5,000,000 JPY||50,000 USD|
|Rescuer's Expense||5,000,000 JPY||50,000 USD|
In the event of student cancellation/withdrawal, the following cancellation policy will apply:
- Screening Fees (required for all applicants): Non-refundable
- Registration Fees: Non-refundable
- Program Fees (tuition and activity fee) and Housing Fees:will be refunded if a student withdraws by April 30 JST (if the deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday or a National Holiday, the University must be informed of the withdrawal on a working day before the deadline).
Bank transfer fees will be deducted from the refunds. Refunds will be returned to the student by APU in a timely manner.
Please Send us the following application documents by registered mail or by freight services by the application deadline.
- Printed Online Application
- Payment receipt of Screening Fees (non-refundable) 11,750 JPY
Bank Name: Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Bank Branch: Oita Branch
Account Type: Ordinary Deposit Account
Account Number: 1001647
Account Name: RITSUMEIKAN ASIA PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
THE RITSUMEIKAN TRUST
Swift Code: SMBCJPJT
Bank Address: 1 – 3 – 22 Chuo machi, Oita-shi, Oita, 870-0035
*All transfer fees are to be paid by the applicant.
- Passport Copy
- Certificate of University Enrollment (this must prove your enrollment at the time of official application period)
- Official Academic Transcripts (if the issuing institution does not use a standard Grade Point Average (GPA) scale, please attach a conversion chart)
- Pledge (PDF)
- Three passport-sized photos (4cm X 3cm)
- Copy of Japanese or English Proficiency Test (If you have any)
If you have Japanese study background, the following two documents are required.
If you are not a native speaker of English and have not taken any language proficiency test, the following document is required.
If you are currently not enrolled at a university, the following additional documents are required.
- Recommendation letter(s) from a former/current school or a recommender who have known you at least a year or more.
- Evidence of 12 years of elementary and secondary education to prove that this has been or will be achieved by the time of program commencement. (e.g. High School Diploma, School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Prospective Graduation/Completion etc.) AND a copy of an acceptance letter from the university you are scheduled to enter OR the graduation certificate from a former university.
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
1-1 Jumonjibaru, Beppu, Oita 874-8577 Japan
More Information for Prospective Students
Program Details for