About the Program
The Graduate School Subjects Early Enrollment program provides undergraduate students in their 7th or 8th semester with the opportunity to take subjects of their choice in one of the graduate schools while retaining their undergraduate status.
If the student later enrolls in an APU graduate school, credits earned while studying in this program can be transferred upon application as long as they are deemed academically beneficial by the graduate school in question.
Taking graduate school subjects early will reduce students’ workload after enrollment in graduate school and will allow them to focus on their research. Students who want to use their time wisely and prepare for proceeding to the next stage of their studies before advancing to graduate school are encouraged to take full advantage of this program.
|AY 2018 Fall Semester|
|Timetable and syllabus available online||Beginning of September, 2018|
|Application period||Monday, September 3 – Wednesday, September 12, 2018 by noon|
|Notification of screening results||Wednesday, September 19, 2018|
|Course registration period||Monday, October 1 – Tuesday, October 2, 2018|
|Classes resume for all students||Wednesday, October 3, 2018|
- When moving to the 7th semester: Apply during the 6th semester
- When moving to the 8th semester: Apply during the 7th semester
1) GPA and Credits
|Semester||Cumulative GPA||Completed Credits|
When moving to
the 7th semester
At least 3.00 at the end of their
At least 102 completed credits by
the end of their 6th semester
When moving to
the 8th semester
At least 3.00 at the end of their
At least 118 completed credits by
the end of their 7th semester
2) Official Test Scores
Students who can submit any of the following official test scores*1. However, this does not apply to students who received six or more years of school education in English only in a regular course of study at an institution at least equivalent to a Japanese high school.
L & R means LISTENING AND READING.
TOEIC® and TOEFL® are registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS).
*1 Students who cannot satisfy any of the conditions above should consult at the Academic Office before submitting their applications.
*2 Limited to scores obtained either at APU or Ritsumeikan University.
For more details, please refer to the Application Guidelines below.
Application Documents and Screening Fee
|1) Request for Early Enrollment in Graduate School Subjects||1||Please use the designated application form below.|
|2) Statement of Intent||1||Approximately 1,000 words. Please use the designated form below.|
|3) Student Information Card||1||Please use the designated application form. The form will be available at the Academic Office.|
|4) Photograph||1||3 cm x 2.5 cm color photograph taken within the last three months. Write full name on reverse side. Affix one to the Student Information Card.|
|5) Certification of English Language Ability||1||Not required for students who received six or more years of school education in English only in a regular course of study at an institution at least equivalent to a Japanese high school.|
|6) Screening Fee||
|Please purchase a university-designated certificate stamp worth ¥10,000 at an automatic certificate dispenser on campus and submit it along with the other required documents.|
*Location of the automatic certificate dispenser: Building A, next to Student Office entrance, Library (in front of the counter)
- Request for Early Enrollment in Graduate School Subjects (PDF)
- Request for Early Enrollment in Graduate School Subjects (DOC)
- Statement of Intent (PDF)
- Statement of Intent (DOC)
Submit Application to:
Academic Office (Building B, 1F)
Office hours: Monday, Wednesday through Friday: 10:00-16:30
Under this program, students can take first-year (first semester) subject of AY2014 Curriculum from either of the graduate schools, but they cannot take seminars or Japanese language subjects.
Note: Students who study as non-degree students in the Graduate School of Asia Pacific Studies (GSA) cannot take subjects offered by the Graduate School of Management (GSM) and vice versa.
Please refer to the timetables for both graduate schools available here.
Program Time Frame and Credit Registration Limits
- Students can take subjects under this program for one semester or one year (2 semesters).
- Regardless of the number of semesters of study under this program, students may only register up to 10 credits.
- Credits registered under this system will be included in the credit registration limit (24 credits) for the respective undergraduate college; however, they will not be counted towards the graduation requirements.
Course Registration Period
Students can only register graduate school subjects during Course Registration Period B (i.e., the period for new, reinstated or readmitted students).
Student Status for Early Enrollment Program Students
- Students who pass the screening, receive permission to join the program and complete the required procedures within the allocated time period will be issued a Non-Degree Student ID Cards.
- Based on applications filed by program students, credits earned from subjects completed under this program will be approved as credits obtained prior to admission as long as they are deemed academically beneficial by the graduate school in question.
- Non-degree studens can be issued a certificate of non-degree study and transcripts if needed.
- Early Enrollment Program student status is only valid for one semester at a time, so program students must reapply to take subjects under the program in the following semester. Students who reapply need to pay the screening fee again.