1. Diplomas, Certificates, and Invitation Letters
- Q1-1. Is a diploma the same as a certificate of graduation?
- A1-1. No. The diploma, which is issued only once at the time of graduation (or completion), is proof that you have earned a degree. Meanwhile, the certificate of graduation, much like a Certificate of Attendance or a Transcript of Academic Record, can be issued when needed. It is often required for job interviews or graduate school applications
- Q1-2. I lost my diploma. Can it be reissued?
- A1-2. No. Your diploma is an original document that cannot be reissued.
- Q1-3. I lost my certificate of graduation and/or academic transcript. Can they be reissued?
- A1-3. Yes. These certificates can be issued in whatever quantity you require. Please submit your application to the Student Office.
- Q1-4. I need to submit a certificate of graduation to my prospective employer or graduate school. Can I obtain one before the graduation ceremony?
- A1-4. No. You cannot obtain this certificate until you receive your diploma.
- Q1-5. Can I receive a scan of my diploma and certificates?
- A1-5. No. The University cannot provide scans of diplomas or any certificates.
- Q1-6. What is an Invitation Letter?
- A1-6. This is a certificate you can attach to the visa applications for the family members you invite to the graduation ceremony. It indicates the date, time, and venue of the graduation ceremony.
- Q1-7. Who can apply for an Invitation Letter?
- A1-7. Since this concerns students inviting family members from overseas (as stated in Q1-6), only international students can apply.
- Q1-8. How can I apply for an invitation letter?
- A1-8. Please apply from the URL (survey) on “Invitation letters” of the Academic Office webpage.
- Q1-9. Can the Letter of Invitation be sent by post?
A1-9. No. You may only pick it up from the office counter.
If applicants cannot come to the office in person, they may ask attorney to collect their invitation letters. Attorneys need to bring their student ID and the copy of applicants’ student ID or other photo ID.
- Q1-10. Will Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University serve as a guarantor when I apply for a visa?
- A1-10. No, the University cannot serve as a guarantor.
- Q1-11. What are the requirements for obtaining a visa?
- A1-11. Please contact the appropriate embassy for details.
2. Graduation Ceremony Day
- Q2-1. What items will I receive on the day of the graduation ceremony?
- A2-1. You will receive the following: one diploma, one certificate of graduation in Japanese, one certificate of graduation in English, one academic transcript in Japanese, one academic transcript in English, one diploma folder, and one commemorative gift.
- Q2-2. Do I need to bring anything with me to the graduation ceremony?
A2-2. Yes, please make sure you bring:
(1) Your student ID card, and
(2) A copy of the completion screen from the Office of the President’s online survey.
- Q2-3. Is there parking available at the venue?
- A2-3. No. Please use public transportation.
3. If you are unable to attend the graduation ceremony:
- Q3-1. Can I receive my diploma and certificates by Japanese expedited post (sokutatsu)?
- A3-1. Due to the nature of the contents, we will send your diploma by Yu-Pack (cash on delivery) if you are in Japan or by Express Mail Service (EMS) if you are overseas. Please click the following link for a list of Countries and Areas of EMS. Yu-Pack and EMS rates are showed at the Q3-3. If your countries and areas are not on a list of Countries and Areas of EMS, your diploma will be shipped via DHL. The payment method is different from other services above. Please consult Creo-tech (Central Security Office at 1st floor of Administration Building or Creotech counter at 2nd floor of Administration Building) for the details. If you apply by 16:30 on Friday, March 9, 2018, we will take your diploma to the post office once the ceremony concludes. Please be aware it may take us up to three days to take packages to the post office because the ceremony is held on a weekend. Former students’ diploma will be sent on Wednesday the week after they applied. Please give yourself a plenty of time. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/country/all_en.html
- Q3-2. Will my diploma be sent to me automatically if I am absent from the graduation ceremony?
- A3-2. You must apply to receive your diploma by post. Click here for information on how to apply.
- Q3-3. How much will postage cost?
A3-3. Postage will depend on the size and weight of the package in A.2-1.
Please confirm this when you apply.
Domestic: Size 80 International: 701~800g
Please click the following link for a list of Yu-Pack rates.
Please click the following list of EMS rates.
Click here for information on How to pay for the Postal Charges to Overseas.
- Q3-4. What is the handling fee for additional certificates?
- A3-4. Each certificate costs ¥300.As for current students,each certificate costs ¥200.
- Q3-5. I already submitted my application but would like to change the delivery address. Is this possible?
- A3-5. This is possible depending on when you contact us, but we cannot accommodate requests that result in adjusted postage rates.
- Q3-6. I already submitted my application but would like to request additional certificates. Is this possible?
- A3-6. This is possible within certain limits, but it can become complicated since you must pay the handling fee for the additional certificates. Please note that it may take several days to issue your certificates depending on when you apply, which may result in us sending your package later. Also, if you request additional certificates, the postage may change depending on the weight of the package. For details, please contact the Academic Office.
- Q3-7. Can you send my diploma and certificates now if I agree to pay the postage later?
- A3-7. No. We can only send your package if you have satisfied all of the application requirements.
- Q3-8. Can I change how I receive my package after I apply?
- A3-8. This is possible within certain limits, but we cannot accommodate requests that result in adjusted postage rates or are otherwise procedurally complicated. We also may not be able to accommodate your change request depending on when you make it.
- Q3-9. I applied to have my diploma mailed and I already paid the postage, but I was unable to successfully graduate. Can you refund my postage?
- A3-9. As is indicated in the application, we cannot issue a refund after you have submitted a certificate stamp. For details, please contact the Academic Office.
- Q3-10. If I have not yet submitted my application after the graduation ceremony, can you send additional certificates along with the free certificates provided with my diploma (i.e., one Japanese and one English copy of my academic transcript and certificate of graduation)?
- A3-10. To request additional certificates after the graduation ceremony, please apply from the URL (survey) on “Receiving your Diploma after Graduation” or “Those Who Cannot Attend the Graduation Ceremony” of the Academic Office webpage.
- Q3-11. I did not think I could attend the graduation ceremony, so I applied to have my diploma mailed, but my plans have changed, and now I can attend. What will happen to my diploma mailing request?
- A3-11. Your application will be automatically cancelled. However, if you have already paid for postage, this cannot be refunded as indicated in A3.9.
- Q3-12. Can you send the certificates of graduation and academic transcripts to a different address than the diploma and commemorative gift?
- A3-12. No. All items will be sent in one package to the same address.