Status of Residence to a "Working Visa"
International Students who have received a job offer to work in Japan after graduation are required, by law, to change their status of residence from a 'college student' visa to a 'working visa'. Please read through the following documents carefully.
Materials for the 'Changing the Status of Residence' Guidance (Japanese)
Materials for the 'Changing the Status of Residence' Guidance (English)
(Held on July 15, 2020)
NB: Available in PDF format
Please note that the Career Office cannot apply for your visa status to be changed on behalf of students. Each Student is responsible to contact the company where they will be employed to obtain the necessary documents.
Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau, Oita Branch Office
Address: 1st floor, Oita Homu Sogo Chosha, 7-5 Niage-machi, Oita City (Access Map NB: Available in PDF format)
Status of Residence for the Purpose of Job Hunting after Graduation
There is a system in place making it possible for international students to apply to the Immigration Bureau for a change in visa status to stay in Japan after graduation for the purpose of job hunting. APU students wanting to apply for a change in visa status for this purpose must first be issued a 'Recommendation Letter' by the university. In order for APU to issue this letter the student must meet the criteria set down in the below file. Please read through the following document carefully.
Status of Residence for the Purpose of Job Hunting after Graduation (Japanese)
Status of Residence for the Purpose of Job Hunting after Graduation (English)
(Updated June 2020)
NB: Available in PDF format
Required Documents for 'Recommendation Letter' Application
Please read all information on the document above carefully before you submit your application to the Career Office.
- Complete ‘Recommendation Letter’ Application Form (1), (2), (3), (4),(5) NB: Available in PDF format
- Any proof of job hunting activities (e.g. print out of emails from the company)
- A copy of the rirekisho / Entry Sheet which you’ve submitted to the company（more than one copy required）
- Transcript of Academic Records
- Graduation Certificate (Certificate of Prospective Graduation will be accepted at time of application)
- Copy of current bank account balance or verification of money transfer (required once you have passed the application screening)
- Students must apply for their change in status of residence in person at the Immigration Bureau. The issuance by the university of a 'Recommendation Letter' DOES NOT automatically lead to the applicant being granted a 'designated activity visa' status of residence by the Immigration Bureau.
- Application for a change in visa status to 'temporary stay' must be made to the Immigration Bureau before the current 'college student' visa expires.
- The university will issue one letter per student only. Students who receive a 'Recommendation Letter' from the university, and who are successfully granted a 'temporary stay' status of residence by the Immigration Bureau, must report any job offers to the Career Office as soon as possible.