August 3, 2020: Change: Rescheduling the Graduation Ceremony
March 9, 2020: None
Rescheduling the Graduation Ceremony (Updated August 3, 2020)
The graduation ceremony for students originally scheduled to graduate in March 2020 will be held jointly with the ceremony for students graduating in September 2020.
Announcement of Graduation Results and Grade Inquiries
There are no changes to the current schedule. Please refer to the link below for details.
Receipt of Diplomas and Graduation Certificates
Diplomas and graduation certificates will be sent to the address specified by the graduate. On Monday, March 2, the Academic Office will email all students graduating or completing their programs in March 2020 with information about the procedures for sending diplomas and certificates. Please carefully read the announcement and complete the required procedures. The university will bear all postal costs for sending the diplomas and graduation certificates.
Students are asked to fill out the relevant sections of the survey that will be sent on Monday, March 2, 2020.
Note: Please take extra care when filling out the address and recipient information to help ensure the delivery of the documents.
● Mailing dates
- For those who complete the procedures between Monday, March 2 and Monday, March 9, 2020, diplomas will be posted on March 13, 2020
- For those who complete the procedures on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 or after, diplomas will be posted in the order of receipt after Monday, March 16, 2020. Diplomas will be posted 3 to 4 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) after the survey is submitted.
The deadline to apply for postal delivery of diplomas and certificates is Thursday, April 30, 2020.
● Method of Postage
Diplomas will be posted via Japan Post for domestic addresses and EMS or other international courier for international addresses.
● Documents to be Posted
- Certificate of Graduation/Completion – 2 copies in English and 2 copies in Japanese
- Academic Transcript – 2 copies in English and 2 copies in Japanese
- Commemorative Gift
Students who would like to request more copies of the Certificate of Graduation/Completion and/or the Academic Transcript in addition to those shown above, please apply following the instructions at the below link.
How to Request Certificates/Transcripts:
Outstanding Academic Excellence Recognition/Undergraduate Thesis Recognition/Master’s Thesis Recognition
The names of students recognized under these systems will be announced on the university website on Friday, March 13, 2020. A Certificate of Merit will be sent to the recognized students together with their diploma.
Honors Program for Global Citizenship (HPGC)
The Student Office will announce the names of students recognized under this program on the university website on Friday, March 13, 2020. Please contact the Student Office about certificates related to and other information about this program.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Receiving Diplomas and Certificates
- Q. When can I receive my diploma?
- A. If you fill out the above survey by Monday, March 9, 2020, the diploma will be posted to your address on Friday, March 13, 2020. Please note that that diplomas will not be sent out before Friday, March 13, 2020. Delivery dates vary by country/region.
- Q. When should I submit the survey?
- A. Please submit the survey by Monday, March 9, 2020. Those who submit the survey from Tuesday, March 10, 2020 onwards will have their diplomas posted in order of receipt. The deadline to apply for postal delivery of diplomas and certificates is Thursday, April 30, 2020.
- Q. Is it possible to have my diploma posted to an address outside of Japan?
- A. Yes. Items sent to addresses overseas will be sent via EMS. If the country/region is not on the list of countries and areas served by EMS, the diploma will be posted via another international courier.
- Q. Will there be any postal charges for the postage of the diploma?
- A. APU will cover all domestic and international postal charges. However, students who request additional Certificates of Graduation/Completion and/or additional Academic Transcripts will be charged 300 JPY per certificate plus postage.
- Q. Can I come to campus to receive my diploma?
A. As a rule, all diplomas will be posted via Japan Post or EMS to the designated address.
However, if you wish to receive your diploma from APU due to any extenuating circumstances, please contact the Academic Office Graduation Team in advance at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diplomas can be received at APU on weekdays starting Monday, March 16, 2020 during regular office hours (Mon., Wed., Thu., and Fri. 10:00-16:30, Tue. 11:30-16:30).
- Please bring your student ID or other photo ID when you come to receive your diploma.
The following three (3) documents are required if a proxy is to receive your diploma:
- Letter of Proxy (including a dated, personal signature from the graduate)
- Copy of the graduate's student ID or photo ID
- Copy of the proxy's photo ID (or original photo ID at the counter)
- Q. What should I do if I need more than the provided two copies of the Certificate of Completion/Graduation and/or Academic Transcript in either language?
A. Students will receive four (4) copies of the Certificate of Graduation/Completion (2 Japanese, 2
English), and four (4) copies of the Academic Transcript (2 Japanese, 2 English) together with their
diploma. Additional copies can be provided on request.
Applicants must pay 300 JPY per each additional copy, plus postage.
Please refer to the link below for information about how to apply.
- Q. Can I apply to receive my diploma via this survey posted if I am not graduating in March 2020?
- A. No. This offer applies only to those graduating in March 2020.
Academic Gown Rental and Refund of Co-op Deposits (Updated February 28, 2020)
Please check the APU Co-op website for details about academic gown rental and refund of Co-op deposits.
Monitoring your Health
In consideration of the present novel coronavirus situation, the university has decided to cancel the March 2020 graduation ceremony. Graduating students planning to come to Beppu or the APU campus for any reason should follow the below instructions.
If you experience any of the symptoms below prior to returning to Beppu or APU, first consult with the nearest public health center and seek treatment at a medical institution. Refrain from coming to Beppu and APU until you have fully recovered. Do not go to a medical institution without calling first. Wear a face mask when leaving your home and going out in public spaces.
- Fever of 37.5 degrees or above for 4 days or more
- Cold-like symptoms such as a runny nose, cough, sore throat, etc. for 4 days or more
- Severe fatigue, shortness of breath (difficulty breathing)
Wash your hands frequently, gargle, and wear a mask to prevent yourself from contracting an infectious disease.
Students planning on coming back to Beppu or APU should follow the instructions outlined above under "Monitoring your Health.” Take the necessary precautions to avoid contracting or spreading any infectious disease if you plan on spending time with or being around other people.
Checklist for Graduating Students
After you graduate from APU, you must take care of the following things before you leave Beppu. Please allow enough time to complete everything.