1. Measures to Prevent Misuse of Public Research Funds
Based on the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology's Guidelines for the Management and Audit of Public Research Funds at Research Institutions (Implementation Standards) (February 15, 2007; revised February 18, 2014; hereinafter, "Guidelines for the Management and Audit of Public Research Funds"), Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University established the Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University Regulations for the Management of Public Research Funds, which came into effect on May 12, 2015. The university is moving forward measures for the proper usage of public research funds in line with these regulations.
2. National Guidelines
Guidelines on the Management and Audit of Public Research Funds at Research Institutions (Implementation Standards) (PDF) *Japanese language only
(Revised February 18, 2014; Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
*Other ministries, including the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare and the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, have issued similar guidelines.
3. Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University's Basic Policies and Regulations for Preventing Misuse of Public Research Funds
4. Responsibility Within the Institution (made public in accordance with the Guidelines for the Management and Audit of Public Research Funds and other regulations)
The Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University Regulations for the Management of Public Research Funds defines the following system of responsibilities.
- Chief Administrator: President of Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (university name omitted hereafter)
- General Administrator assisting the Chief Administrator and holding the responsibility and authority to supervise management of public research funds at the university: a vice president designated by the President
Compliance Officers holding the responsibility and authority to inform and direct researchers in relation to compliance with proper usage of public research funds:
- The Dean of the International Cooperation and Research Division
- The Deans and Directors of the Colleges and Centers
Assistant Compliance Officers assisting the Compliance Officers:
- The administrative manager of the Research Office
- The administrative managers of other offices that manage public research funds
- Other persons designated by the Compliance Officers
- Consultation Center to respond to concerns related to public research funds from inside and outside the university: Research Office
- Reporting Center to accept reports related to misuse of public research funds from inside and outside the university: reporting center determined by the Ritsumeikan Trust Report Handling Regulations.
5. Outline of Plan for Preventing Misuse
Every year, the General Administrator designs and releases a plan for preventing misconduct and misuse related to research funds in response to factors causing misuse of public research funds. The office in charge of implementing the plan for preventing misconduct and misuse related to public research funds across the entire university is the Administration Office.
6. Compliance Education
Compliance EducationSince AY2014, the university has held compliance training sessions for faculty and staff. The training sessions outline the Guidelines for the Management and Audit of Public Research Funds and address issues researchers and research institutions must bear in mind. The sessions conclude with a comprehension check. To faculty and staff who are unable to attend the training sessions due to unavoidable circumstances, the university offers an opportunity to view an online video instead.
Please see here for details (available only to university affiliates).
7. Submission of Written Pledges
Training session attendees submit written pledges. Submission of the written pledge is a condition to apply for or receive public research funds and from AY2018 will be a condition to apply for or receive any type of research funding.
Please see here for details.
8. Research Funds Usage Guidebook
The Research Funds Usage Guidebook is available here (only university personnel have access)
The Office of Auditing performs the following internal audits every year in accordance with internal audit regulations.
- Audit of management system and activities of office in charge of plans for preventing misuse
- Audits employing focused sampling
Please see this page for information on where to report misuse of public research funds.
*Japanese language only