An occurrence this year - The big three news stories
For question 1, SPA members nominated three major news events of the last 12 months and asked people to choose the event that impacted them the most. The three events were:
the Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami, the global financial crisis, and the Arab Spring popular uprisings.
※ Please move the click the graph to read comments for each item.
The Eastern Japan Earthquake & Tsunami
- People I know were affected by this disaster so it was a major news event for me.(Japan)
- This news affected me personally. Speaking to people who saw the disaster first-hand helped me to feel just how bewildering the whole experience must have been.（China）
- It felt just like I was watching a scene from a movie.（Korea）
- The earthquake occurred when I was back in Indonesia and it came as a great shock. I was in front of the computer all day trying to get information.（Indnesia）
- The news coming in was just tragic. But it was great to see how so many people gave their support and worked to keep the damage to a minimum.（Taiwan）
The recent global financial crisis which began in Greece
- The impact of the financial crisis has made me pay more attention to the exchange rates.（Korea）
- Although this crisis began in Greece, it's also had an enormous impact on the American economy.（U.S.A）
The "Arab Spring" popular uprisings across the Middle East
- This was taking place when I was back home in Saudi Arabia so I remember it well. People were debating the pros and cons of the revolution and everyone had their own opinion. Some people thought that overthrowing the dictatorship was a good thing while some even thought that it was caused by the American government in order to keep us under their umbrella of influence.（SaudiArabia）