●Students who need to change their student status ? taking a leave of absence, withdrawing and so on - should consult with the Student Office and then complete the necessary procedures. Those who do not complete the procedures may have their permission for the requested change revoked.
|Type of Change||Application Deadline||Notes 2||Office|
|Spring Semester||Fall Semester|
|Leave of Absence||February 15||August 5||
Application Fee: ¥15,000
Matriculation Fee: ¥5,000
|Reinstatement||Domestic||February 15||August 5|
|Readmission||Domestic||February 15||August 5||
Application Fee: ¥10,000
Readmission Fee: ¥13,000*
*(successful applicants only)
|Transfer Within University||Mid-December||Mid-June||Transfer Application Fee: ¥10,000||
|Study Abroad||Recruitment and application twice a year, one year before departure.|
1. Application deadlines for international students are earlier to allow for visa application processing times.
2. Application fees, matriculation fees, and re-admission fees are non-refundable, regardless of the circumstances. Fees are subject to change.
Leave of Absence
- Students with a valid, unavoidable reason for being unable to attend classes for a period of three months or more may apply for a leave of absence. Examples can include illness, economic circumstances, military service, or other reasons beyond the control of the student.
Students planning on taking a leave of absence to travel abroad or participate in an internship must attend a leave of absence guidance session.
The guidance session is provided in Japanese. Students who need information in English about how to apply for a leave of absence should inquire directly at the Student Office. The guidance session schedule click here (PDF) (Available in Japanese only)
- Leave of absence can only be taken in semester units. Leave of absence can be taken for a maximum of four consecutive semesters. During their leave of absence, students may apply to shorten their leave of absence and return to APU earlier than planned, or they may apply to extend their leave of absence up to the maximum of four semesters.
- The college student visa that allows international students to study at APU will no longer be valid once they start their leave of absence, and must be canceled when leaving Japan. When returning to APU, international students will need to apply for a new visa.
Students in a semester in which they could potentially graduate are not able to take a leave of absence.
- Examples :
- A student in their 8th semester who has completed all the credits needed to graduate cannot apply for a leave of absence.
- A student in their 7th semester who has completed all the credits needed to graduate can apply for a leave of absence. (Does not include accelerated program students.)
A student in their 9th semester or later who has not completed all the credits needed to graduate
can apply for a leave of absence.
Leave of Absence Application Deadlines
|Domestic / International|
|Leave of absence starting in the spring semester||February 15|
|Leave of absence starting in the fall semester||August 5|
Note:If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will move to the next business day.
If you need to cancel your leave of absence after receiving permission, you must complete the necessary procedures before the application deadline for the start of your leave of absence. Once the application period has ended, you will not be able to cancel your leave of absence.
Go to the Student Office to discuss your situation and receive the necessary documents.
Students intending on overseas travel or participating in an internship must attend a leave of absence guidance session to receive the necessary documents.
- Prepare and submit the necessary documents before the deadline.
- Your application is reviewed by committee.
- Notice of the committee's decision is posted, typically within 10 days to two weeks from the date of application. Results are sent by registered mail (or EMS).
Submit all required documents below to the Student Office before the deadline.
- Request for Leave of Absence: Must include your financial sponsor or family member's signature.
Leave of Absence Statement: May be typed or handwritten.
Students traveling abroad or with an internship must use the designated forms.
A statement is not required if applying for a leave of absence for medical reasons.
- Application fee: 15,000 yen.
- Matriculation fee: 5,000 yen per semester.
- Medical certificate (if taking a leave of absence for medical reasons).
Status Change Request:
※For domestic students receiving a scholarship from the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO); the scholarship must be suspended during the leave of absence.
For students traveling abroad or with an internship:
Students who intend to travel abroad, take a working holiday, go backpacking, or work at an internship (either domestic or overseas) must read the following.
Procedures are essentially the same as applying for any other leave of absence. There are, however, two main differences.
- You must attend a leave of absence guidance session in order to apply. You will be provided with all the necessary documents at this session.
- Using the forms provided by the University, you must prepare and submit your statement of purpose and planning sheet for your leave of absence, and you must sit for an interview when you submit your application.
APU is unable to provide you with any support or advice in regard to finding a school to study at, looking for a company to internship with, finding a scholarship, or preparing your visa. It is the opinion of the University that it is important that you look after these matters yourself. The below link may be of use when making your preparations.
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Study Abroad Information Page (Available in Japanese only) http://ryugaku.jasso.go.jp/
Other things to consider
Traveling or living overseas is often a rewarding experience. However, to make the most of this experience, you truly need to contemplate why you are taking a leave of absence of leave and what you intend to do during your time away from APU.
Students cannot take a leave of absence simply because they want a change of scenery or to study in an English speaking country. Think carefully about what you need to do while you are living or traveling overseas and what you hope to gain from this experience. Many APU students already have experience living/ traveling overseas. It can be very helpful to make connections with these students and talk to them while you are still in the planning stages.
At the end of the leave of absence term
At the end of the leave of absence term, students must complete the necessary procedures for re-enrollment, leave of absence extension, or withdrawal. Students who do not submit the required documentation by the end of the leave of absence term date will be automatically withdrawn from the University.
All of the necessary documents will be sent to the student’s address registered on Campusmate. The same documents can be downloaded using the link below. Students must print, complete, and send the documents by postal mail. Documents sent by email will not be accepted.
- Reinstatement procedure (PDF)
- Request for Reinstatement (PDF)
- Health Questionnaire (PDF)
- Address Label (WORD)
- Travelling Overseas / Internship Report (PDF)
- Leave of absence extension
Before the end of the student's leave of absence, in May or November, the University will send any necessary forms to the home address the student has registered in Campusmate. Students should be sure to complete the procedures for reinstatement before the deadline.
Reinstatement application deadlines
|Spring semester leave of absence ending September 20 (returning in the fall semester)||Aug. 5||End of Jun.|
|Fall leave of absence ending March 31 (returning in the spring semester)||Feb. 15||End of Dec.|
Note: If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will move to the next business day.
※Students who do not file for reinstatement or for an extension of their leave of absence by the deadline will be considered to have withdrawn from the University at the end of their leave of absence.
- Students who encounter unavoidable circumstances such as illness may apply to withdraw from the University. Students who wish to apply should consult with the Student Office in advance to receive the necessary forms.
- Any tuition paid to the University will not be refunded.
- Failing to pay full tuition by the deadline.
- Failing to complete the necessary procedures for a change of student status, such as reinstatement or transfer within the University, by the set deadline.
- Becoming subject to disciplinary action in the form of withdrawal.
- Students who have withdrawn from the University may petition for approval to be readmitted.
- Students who have been readmitted will retain any credits they earned during their previous period of enrollment, prior to their withdrawal.
- A student may apply for readmission within three years of the last day of the semester in which they withdrew. However, the student must submit the necessary forms by the deadline for the corresponding semester.
Readmission application deadlines
|Spring Semester Readmission||Feb. 15||End of December|
|Fall Semester Readmission||Aug. 15||End of June|
Note: If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will move to the next business day.
Transfer Within the University
- Transferring allows students who are advancing to their second or third years to change from their current college to another college within Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University.
In principle, recruitment for transfer takes place when there are vacancies in a certain college.
Students who wish to transfer should refer to the Academic Office homepage for more information.
Students who wish to study abroad while enrolled at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University should consult with the Academic Office.
※See the Undergraduate Academic Handbook for more information.
The following will result in expulsion. Students who have been expelled cannot be readmitted.
- A student's duration of study exceeds eight years.
- Dual enrollment (A student enrolling in two or more universities, colleges, or departments at the same time).
- A student going missing for three months or more.
About students who go missing for three months or more
- When there is reason to believe a student may not be coming to the University ? for example, because the student is not registering for courses, not taking final exams or not attending their classes - the University will contact the student's registered current address and home address.
- If the University attempts to contact the student and the student fails to respond with a legitimate reason, the University will consider the student missing and will expel the student after three months.
- Students should always ensure their current addresses and contact information are registered in Campusmate so that the University can contact them if they are unable to come to APU due to illness, accident, or other unforeseen circumstances. If a student becomes unable to come to the University, they should consult with the Student Office as soon as possible and complete the procedures for a leave of absence or withdrawal.
- Students who are expelled cannot apply for readmission and cannot resume studying at APU.