About Field Study
The Field Study enables students to carry out field work and research in a specialized field of each college under the guidance of a faculty member, deepens students’ interest in their chosen field, and serves as a bridge between theory and practice.
1. AY 2021 Summer Session Programs
AY2021 Summer Session Programs will be as follows.
No APM programs will be offered in AY2021 Summer Session.
Information about AY2021 Winter Session Programs will be updated around September.
|Program Title||Language||Activity Site||Schedule||Syllabus||Application
|APS||YAMAGATA Tatsufumi||Disability and Society||J/E||Beppu City and Hiji Town, OITA||
Application Information (PDF)
(Updated on 2021/5/10.)
|TSUCHIHASHI Takuya||持続可能な地域の価値づくり: 長野県飯田市における調査||J||Iida City, NAGANO||
[Precautions before application]
- Student dispatch may be cancelled based on the COVID-19 situation.
- In case the program is cancelled, no alternative program (e.g. online program) will be held to make up the cancellation.
- In case the program is cancelled, no grades nor credits will be awarded even if the program has already started.
- If program dispatch is cancelled or the program contents are changed, neither APU nor any other organizations will be responsible for paying any cancellation fees incurred. Any such fees will be borne by the program participant.
- Depending on the COVID-19 situation and/or request from the host institution, you may only be permitted to participate in the on-site activity if you take a PCR test and can provide evidence that your results are negative. In such a case, participants will be responsible for the cost of the PCR test themselves. (Added on 2021/05/10)
- Information sessions:
- Application period:
- 2021/5/6(Thu.)- 5/20(Thu.) - 16:30 ※Application period has finished.
- Announcement of screening result:
- 2021/6/8(Tue.) Afternoon
- How to apply:
Please do the following 2 steps during the application period.
- Missing a step is considered an incomplete application and will not be accepted.
- However, screening process will begin after the step 1 is completed. If you want to cancel your application, please contact the Academic Office.
Step 1: Please apply online from the designated URL during the application period.
- Online application URL
- If you submit the online application multiple times, only the most recent application will be accepted.
Step 2: Please submit the pledge online from the designated URL during the application period.
- Online pledge URL
- Pledge has to be electronically signed both by an applicant and his/her guardian.
- Please have the person who you indicated as your guardian in Step 1 (of the online application process) sign the pledge.
- Student’s signature has to be signed by an applicant him/herself, while the guardian’s signature has to be signed by the guardian him/herself.
- Please make sure to read the manual for electronical pledge (PDF) before submission.
- In case you are unable to submit the electronical pledge, please contact the email you find below on this page. Please enter ‘Pledge for Field Study’ in your email title.
2. Students Experience
Atsushi Morio (College of International Management)
Program: “Doing Business in Russia“
Year: AY2019 Winter Session
The program on-site consisted of a series of lectures about Russian culture and businesses in the morning, and visits to companies to speak with local workers within the suburbs of Moscow in the afternoon. Learning that there are eleven time zones in Russia, and how business models make the best use of it made me realize how vast Russia is. Furthermore, when visiting a factory owned by a Japanese company, I was deeply impressed to learn that the Japanese ‘craftmanship’ had been passed onto the people in Russia. It was a great opportunity for me to learn about business models unique to Russia and to witness how a Japanese corporation implements their business in a foreign environment. This experience was very helpful in deepening my knowledge in the field of International Management. I believe I never would have been able to gain these new perspectives and knowledge if I didn’t take this opportunity to step outside of Japan.
Name: ZHANG Daoli (College of Asia Pacific Studies)
Program: Experiencing Media, Culture and Creative: Television, Film, Photography and Theatre of Slovakia
Year: AY2019 Winter Session
In this field study for culture, media and society, we visited many culture industries including a radio station, theatre and gallery, which really broadened our horizon. Additionally, the lectures offered by BISLA gave us an opportunity to deepen our understanding of the media culture in central Europe. During the lecture offered by Doctor Thomson, we had a chance to discuss activist journalism in Central Europe and I learnt a lot about journalism practice. Furthermore, I was able to deepen my knowledge about how journalism differs in each country and area, and the relationship between journalism and politics. By participating in this field study, I believe I was able to achieve the main goal I set out to accomplish which was to deepen my understanding of media studies and European culture. I have no doubt that I gained a lot of experience in the field of media and culture studies, and my interest has greatly increased through this experience. In the future, I would like to take on more tasks and research activities relating to media text analysis and cultural analysis, and the experiences from this field study will be very useful as I face these challenges. For example, if I do research about comparing different cultures, I can reflect on the culture industries that I experienced during this field study program. The visual art history, politics and media will all be useful for my research. In conclusion, I learnt a lot about media studies and central European culture, which will be of great benefit to my area of study in the future.
3. Past Program (Reference)
- “Poverty and Environment Issues in Asian Developing Countries” (Activity Site: India, Thailand)
- “Heritage Tourism in Urban and Rural Landscapes” (Activity Site: Italy, Spain)
- “Past and Present of Kitakyushu; The First Asian Green Growth City” (Activity Site: Fukuoka, Japan)
- “Building Sustainable Local Development”(Activity Site: Nagano, Japan)
- “NGO Research (Field Research Project)” (Activity Site: Niigata, Japan)
- “Social Entrepreneurs in Indonesia” (Activity Site: Indonesia)
- “Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SOLVE)” (Activity Site: Philippines)
- “Experiencing Media, Culture and Creative: Television, Film, Photography and Theatre of Slovakia” (Activity Site: Slovakia)
- “Doing Business in Russia” (Activity Site: Russia)
- “Roles and Activities of International Organizations” (Activity Site: Tokyo, Japan, Switzerland and France)
- “Considering War and Peace through Okinawa's Experience” (Activity Site: Okinawa, Japan) etc.
※ Programs offered will vary from year to year.
APU Academic Office
Field Study Team: Hirochi(Mr.), Tsuda(Ms.), Ito(Ms.), Idonuma(Ms.)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please enter “Field Study” in your email title)