If a student is unable to take the final exam due to hospitalization, sudden illness, job hunting activities, disaster or any other unavoidable reason, the student may be allowed to take a make-up examination. After preparing the necessary certificates, please follow the application procedure described below.
Depending on the subject, the make-up examination may be in the form of a written test or a report.
There is no limit to the number of subjects for which a student may apply to take make-up examinations.
*Before applying to take a make-up exam be sure to read this page carefully.
Please note that some details about the application period and procedure have been modified and differ from those listed in the 2022 Undergraduate Academic Handbook.
Modifications to the 2022 Undergraduate Academic Handbook
|Before change||After change from Fall Semester 2022|
|Application Method||Academic Office||Microsoft Forms [Application form for Make-up Examination]|
|Application Period||Submit within one week,
including the day of the examination
|Until 12:00:00 (noon) three days after the last day of the final exams period
(see below for the schedule)
|How to submit certificates||Submit original documents to the counter||Photograph the original document and upload it to the application form|
|Make-up Examination fee||A 1,000 JPY per subject||Fee abolition|
|2022 Fall||Application Period||Make-up Examination Schedule|
|1st Quarter||Mon, November 21, 2022 10:00-
Mon, November 28, 2022 12:00 noon
|Wed, December 7|
|2nd Quarter||Mon, January 30, 2023 10:00-
Mon, February 6, 2023 12:00 noon
|Mon, February 13
Tue, February 14
How to apply
The application method for make-up examinations has changed from 2022 Fall Semester onwards.
Please apply using the Microsoft Forms "Application form for Make-up Examination" linked below.
- Applications will not be accepted at the Academic Office counter.
- This application is intended to confirm if the student qualifies or not to take the make-up examination. Is not to approve the student to take the make-up examination.
- When submitting the applications, you are required to upload the certificates and necessary documents. Please allow enough time before the deadline to submit the application.
- Application submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
For the necessary certificates please refer to the table below.
- If you have contracted or suspect of having contracted COVID-19, please submit the Condition Check Survey.
A separate certificate is not required.
- If you are unable to obtain a certificate regarding any other reason than COVID-19, please contact the Academic Office Exam and Grading Team in advance (firstname.lastname@example.org).
|Reason for Not Taking Examination||Necessary Document or Requirement|
|Illness of the student||Medical expense receipt and one from the following documents; medical certificates (Shindansho), “Certificate Proving Hospital Visit” or “Certificate of Recovery from Infectious Disease.” (Medical certificate which includes the day you went to the hospital or the period of hospitalization or treatment - only effective if the date of issue is included on the exam day.)|
|Bereavement (death of a relative to the 2nd degree, i.e. spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild)||Official death certificate with the actual date of death (Funeral thank you letter or official death certificate showing the date of death applicable for 7 days, including public holidays, from the date of death of parent, spouse or child, or 5 days, including public holidays, from the date of death of grandparent or brother/sister).|
|Disaster||Certificate for disaster victim|
|Job interview||Official document to certify job interview (available at the Career Office)|
|Graduate school examination||Examination admission slip|
|Transportation delay||Delay certificate from transportation company|
|Absence connected to Japan's lay judge system||Advance permission from the Dean of Academic Affairs|
|Unavoidable reasons such as participation in extracurricular activities||Advance permission from the Dean of Academic Affairs|
Make-up Examination Schedule
Once the application has been received, the Academic Office will inform the student whether the make-up examination is approved or not, along with the related details via email. If the make-up examination is to be taken in the form of a ‘written exam’, it will be held according to the dates below. If you want to take make-up examination please keep your schedule open during these dates.
If you cannot take the make-up examination in the designated date, as a rule, no additional make-up examinations will be arranged for different dates.
※However, if you are unable to take the make-up examination due to infection of COVID-19 (including designation of close-contact), please submit the Condition Check Survey to the APU Health Clinic, and contact the Exam and Grading Team at the Academic Office (email@example.com) before 17:00 JST of the Make-up Examination day.
|2022 Fall||Make-up Examination Schedule|
|1st Quarter||Wed, December 7|
|2nd Quarter||Mon, February 13
Tue, February 14
- You will not be permitted to take a make-up examination for reasons that are not included in the above chart.
- These rules only apply to examinations held in the final examination period.
- There is no official make-up examination system for mid-term examinations. Please seek advice from the individual instructor in these cases.
- There is no official make-up examination system for language subject examinations. Please seek advice from the individual instructor even if the examination is held in the final examination period.
- Students participating in APU's English Teaching Certificate Program who cannot take both the original exam and make-up exam due to the teaching practicum, etc., should consult with the Academic Office in advance.
- If due to infection of COVID-19 (including designation of close-contact), the period you are unable to attend school includes the date for the make-up examination and you are unable to take the final exam and the make-up examination, please consult the Academic Office in advance.