You can participate in curricular summer/winter programs offered at APU’s partner universities. All credits acquired during the exchange period will be reviewed by each college and the Division of Academic Affairs. If approved, these credits will be counted towards the student’s graduation at APU. Because many summer/winter programs center on intensive courses in English, you must possess a high level of English proficiency prior to participation. In addition to attending all classes, you must actively participate in class activities. Studying and living abroad is an invaluable experience. However, it can also be difficult and stressful. In principle, you are responsible for dealing with any problems you might experience abroad on your own. We expect you to have a keen awareness of your surroundings and the ability to act responsibly to avoid any dangerous situations.
AY2021 Recruitment Information
You can apply to any program offered by one of APU’s student exchange partner universities and that begins and ends within the below time period. Furthermore, because there is no way to predict the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may apply to both in-person and online programs. However, if the start date is May of 2021 or earlier, you may only apply to online programs, as travel for outbound programs for that timeframe has already been cancelled. Please research program information, including eligibility, program content, program dates, language(s) of instruction, fees, the number of credits, and accommodation before applying for the APU internal screening.
|Summer Programs||April 1, 2021 – September 20, 2021|
|Winter Programs||September 21, 2021- March 31, 2022|
Overseas Short-Term Summer / Winter Programs Application Information (PDF)
Credit Transfer Manual (PDF)
Recruitment Guidance Session
14:00-15:00 Monday, March 15, 2021
＜Zoom ID＞ 938 8891 3560
- Applicants must meet the application criteria set by each host university.
- Students must be in or between their 1st and 7th semesters (students who are enrolled in the accelerated graduation program cannot participate during their final semester).
- Applicants must be APU undergraduate students. Graduate students cannot apply.
- Applicants must have a status of “regular” or “exchange” during the semester they participate.
- Applicants must not possess a passport for the country or region of the university they wish to apply to. If an applicant possesses a passport for the country or region of the university they wish to apply to, they must have received less than four years of education in that country or region from Junior High School onwards (beyond G7).
- If the program period overlaps with the class term of the APU course(s) which the applicant will take during the semester they plan to participate, applicants can receive no more than 6 credits. This includes not only credits obtained through this program, but also credits transferred in the same semester from the Ritsumeikan University Summer Session, The Open University of Japan, Curricular Exchange with Oita University, Oita University On-Demand, or credits transferred from the Oita Learning (Toyono Manabi) Consortium.
- (For Japanese basis students only) At the time of application, students must have completed Intermediate English A and B (or have been exempt from these courses).
Internal Application: Online Survey
- Please upload a copy of an English Proficiency Score (TOEFL etc.) if you have one.
- If you possess a passport for the country/region of the short-term program in which you wish to participate, please upload documents that can verify your academic records from junior high school onwards.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected automatically.
- Upon completion of the online application, please click “Print Your Answers” to print out the application record. If you have specific questions about the content of your application, you must bring a printout of the application record with you to the Academic Office. We will be unable to answer specific questions without this record.
- For short-term programs requiring a home university nomination, we will nominate students in the order in which we receive their applications.
Application Deadlines: one week before the respective program’s application deadline
Deadlines will vary for each program. Students are responsible for confirming deadlines on their own and applying well in advance of the deadline.
(Final Deadlines and Guidance Session Schedule)
|Short-Term Summer Programs||APU internal screening application deadline||Guidance sessions for participants|
|Programs which require applicants to delete their registration for APM required subjects or third year seminars for the 2021 Spring Semester||April 2, 2021 12:00||May 12, 2021|
|Programs which commence during the 2021 Spring Semester class term||May 5, 2021||May 12, 2021|
|Programs which commence after the 2021 Spring Semester class term||June 30, 2021||July 7, 2021|
|Short-Term Winter Programs||APU internal screening application deadline||Guidance sessions for participants|
|Programs which require applicants to delete their registration for APM required subjects or third year seminars for the 2021 Fall Semester||3 working days prior to course registration period B||November 3, 2021|
|Programs which commence during the 2021 Fall Semester class term||October 27, 2021||November 3, 2021|
|Programs which commence after the 2021 Fall Semester class term||January 6, 2022||January 13, 2022|
Documents for Submission: Accepted Students
- Overseas Short-Term Summer/Winter Programs Report (Survey)
- Notice of Completion (Forms)
- Credit Transfer Request Form (DOC)
- Academic Transcript
In order to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, we have temporarily stopped face-to-face consultations. Consultations are still available via email or Zoom. If you wish to have a Zoom consultation, please make an online booking in advance and log into Zoom at your scheduled consultation time. You will be directly contacted by a staff from the Academic Office on Zoom. If you fail to respond up to 5 minutes after your scheduled time, we will treat your booking as a no-show and cancel the booking.
Short-Term Summer / Winter Program Team