The Honors Program in International Relations and Peace Studies(The IR Honors Program)
Students who register the International Relations and Peace Studies Field (IRPS) as their areas of study and meet the program requirements receive an Honors Certificate in International Relations and Peace Studies (Honors Certificate). The program recognizes students who utilize individualized faculty supervision and APU’s enhanced international and intercultural programs.
- Students who enter the College of Asia Pacific Studies in or after Spring 2017
- Students who register IRPS for their areas of study, and also register to the program
Registration for certification
- Students must register for the Honor’s Program after registering for IRRS as their areas of study during the Course Registration / Correction Period (Registration Period A/B, Correction Period 1/2) in the 2nd or 3rd semester.
- Students must confirm or withdraw from the IR Honors Program in the 6th semester Course Registration Correction Period 2 when Field registration is finalized.
Conditions for certification
After registering for the IR Honors Program at the specified time, students who satisfy the following conditions can gain the certification.
- Complete at least 30 credits of IRPS Field subjects.
- Write an undergraduate thesis under the supervision of an IRPS Field faculty member and successfully pass the screening with a grade of A or A+ (i.e., earned a grade of A or A+ in Research Seminar II)
- Participate in and earn credits for at least one APU off-campus program. (A list of eligible off-campus programs is in the appendix. Domestic students may only participate in overseas programs, but international students can also participate in domestic programs.)
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 at the time of graduation.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 in IRPS Field subjects at the time of graduation.
Support from the IRPS Field Faculty
After students provisionally register for the IRPS Field in the 2nd semester, the IRPS Field faculty will provide them with supervision and encouragement to complete the Honors Program and receive the certification. Seminar instructors provide primary guidance and support once students begin taking seminars in the 5th semester.
Students who complete the Honors Program receive an Honors Certificate in International Relations and Peace Studies at the time of graduate that is signed by the Dean of the College of Asia Pacific Studies and conferred by the IRPS Field Leader. As a general rule, this certificate cannot be reissued.
For more information about the program, contact:
Associate Professor GOMEZ Oscar A. (IRPS Field Leader)
Appendix: Eligible Off-Campus Programs
|Program||Domestic students||International students|
|(i) FIRST Program (Overseas)||○||× (Only available for Japanese-basis students)|
|(ii) FIRST Program (Domestic)||×||○|
|(iii) SECOND Program||○||○|
|(iv) English immersion programs||○||× (Only available for Japanese-basis students)|
|(v) AP Language immersion programs||○||○ (Only available for non-native speakers)|
|(vi) SEND Program||○||× (Only available for native Japanese speakers)|
|(vii) Service learning programs||○||△ (Priority will be given to Japanese-basis students)|
|(viii) Internships (Contract-basis; with foreign companies or organizations)||○||○|
|(xi) Internships (Contract-basis; with Japanese companies or organizations)||×||○|
|(x) Global Communication Program (GCP)||○||× (Only available for Japanese-basis students)|
|(xi) Field Study (Overseas)||○||○|
|(xii) Field Study (Domestic)||×||○|
|(xiii) Field Research Project (Overseas)||○||○|
|(xiv) Field Research Project (Domestic)||×||○|
|(xv) Overseas summer programs (*Only programs designated by APU and offered at our partner schools)||○||○|
|(xvi) Exchange programs (at foreign partner universities)||○||○ (In countries other than their home country)|
|(xvii) Dual degree programs||○||○ (In countries other than their home country)|
|(xviii) Ritsumeikan University International Peace Studies Seminar||×||○|
* Domestic exchange (i.e., credit transfer) programs with Ritsumeikan University (RU) or other Japanese universities are not eligible. (Note: Program (xviii) is eligible because it is an RU-sponsored field study program.)
* This list is subject to change (i.e., addition or deletion) depending on the development of new programs or review of existing ones.