About Beta Gamma Sigma
What is Beta Gamma Sigma?
Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) is the international honor society serving business programs accredited by Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, which invites outstanding business schools to establish their collegiate chapters. Since its founding in 1913, BGS has recognized the outstanding academic achievements of collegiate business and management students. Only the top students of these programs are invited to join BGS. As of January 2020, BGS boasts around 875,000 members in 600 chapters in 190 countries and regions. Students who join while in school earn lifetime membership. In addition, BGS has 31 alumni chapters and 13 networking groups around the world.
The Mission of BGS
The Mission of the International Honor Society Beta Gamma Sigma is to encourage and honor academic achievement in the study of business, to cultivate and celebrate leadership and professional excellence, to advance the values of the Society, and to serve its lifelong members.
The Society’s Mission is supported by the following objectives:
- Encourage and honor academic achievement by students of business and management through chapters in business programs accredited by AACSB International
- Develop Beta Gamma Sigma members as student and professional leaders, and celebrate continuing leadership and excellence
- Foster in Beta Gamma Sigma members an enduring commitment to the founding principles and values of the Society: honor and integrity, the pursuit of wisdom, earnestness, and service
- Connect Beta Gamma Sigma student and alumni members to each other and to opportunities in their professional lives
BGS Induction at APU
- Advantages and Obligations of BGS Membership
- Students can network with other members who are also the best among AACSB-accredited business schools around the globe.
- There are several events and programs limited to members.
- Members gain access to the Beta Gamma Sigma Career Resource Center.
- Some graduate schools offer scholarship programs exclusively for members.
- Some graduate schools waive GMAT scores or application fees for prospective students who are members.
Students need to pay a one-time lifetime membership fees of 75 USD* upon joining BGS.
*Membership fee as of January 2020.
- Selecting Candidates for the APU Chapter
Selection at APU takes place twice each year, in the spring and fall semesters. Selection will take place in the sixth semester for undergraduate students, and in the third semester for graduate students. The top 10% of students as determined by cumulative GPA at the end of their fifth semester for undergraduate students, or second semester for graduate students, will be nominated to BGS. In general, students must have a status of "Regular" or "Study Abroad" at the time of selection.
- Becoming a BGS member
BGS will send invitation letters to all nominated students. If a student decides to join BGS, they will need to complete the profile form and pay a one-time lifetime fee of 75 USD. The APU chapter will hold a recognition ceremony each semester to congratulate the new members of BGS.
About BGS APU Chapter
- BGS APU Chapter and its activities
- APU established its BGS Chapter—the first ever in Japan—in May 2017.
- As of January 2020, the number of current BGS members enrolled at APU is 72, and the number of BGS alumni is 139.
- The APU Chapter organizes BGS gatherings twice each year at APU’s graduation and induction ceremonies respectively.
- A Student Officer group was established in 2018.
Seven Student Officers have been working for the APU chapter to promote BGS and increase its recognition on campus, and also to organize events.
- Networking with APU Chapter alumni
The APU Chapter created a BGS Directory to connect currently enrolled BGS members with BGS alumni for networking purposes. All BGS alumni included in the Directory have given their consent, and only APU Chapter members may access the contact list.
The details of the BGS Directory is delivered to mainly current APU Chapter members. Please contact the BGS Secretariat at the APU Chapter if you have difficulty finding the details of directory.
Office of the President: firstname.lastname@example.org