January, 2015

Jan 23, 2015

After you graduate from APU, you must take care of the following things before you leave Beppu.

Please allow enough time to complete everything.
Checklist for Graduating Students who are not in Japan Click here


Repay any outstanding AP House fees, rent, APU loans, or leave of absence matriculation fees

* If you do not take care of any outstanding debts by the designated deadline,
the conferral of your diploma and your certificates will be delayed. Diploma and your certificates will be given to students once all debts have been repaid.

Return borrowed library materials and settle any delinquent accounts

Students are not permitted to return library materials by post or to have a proxy return items for them;
this also applies to settling delinquent accounts with the library.
* If you do not return borrowed materials or clear all delinquent accounts by the designated deadline, the conferral of your diploma and your certificates will be delayed. Diploma and your certificates will be given to students once all accounts have been settled.

Submit repayment paperwork for the JASSO Scholarship

* Domestic students receiving the JASSO Scholarship who have not submitted the repayment forms for the JASSO Scholarship by the designated deadline, or who submitted incomplete forms, will have the conferral of their graduation certificate delayed. Graduation certificates will given to students once all completed forms have been submitted.

APU Co-op membership cancellation and deposit refund

Complete all necessary procedures with the APU Co-op. Click here for details.

At AP House or Your Apartment

Moving out

In order to terminate your rental or tenancy contract, you must notify your landlord, property manager, or real estate agent by the date stipulated in your contract.
This is typically done between one and three months prior to the date you wish to move out.
* Additional charges may be incurred if you do not give sufficient notice before moving out.
Please carefully read and understand your rental agreement before terminating your contract.
* Clean out your room
You cannot leave any personal belongings behind when you move out.
Do not leave any furniture, appliances, bicycles, motorbikes, or any other personal belongings behind.
*See the Beppu City homepage for information on disposing of unwanted items.
* You have to leave your apartment after graduation ceremony.


Remember to cancel your electricity, water, gas, internet, cable, cell phone, and other services.
Ask at the respective companies how to carry out these procedures.

Change of address (if remaining in Japan)

Submit a change of address (“tenkyo todoke”) with your new address at the Post Office either online or at a nearby Post Office location. Click here for details.

Abandoned motorbikes

Do not abandon unneeded motorbikes in the bike parking lot. You must go through the proper procedures to sell or dispose of your motorbike.
If you give your motorbike to someone else, you must transfer the ownership.
You must also cancel the insurance you purchased for the motorbike.
If you abandon your motorbike or give it to someone without transferring ownership and the motorbike is involved in an accident, you can be held responsible.

At Your Bank (Oita Mirai Shinkin Bank, JP Bank, etc.)

Close your bank account

You will need your bank book, bank card, and the stamp (inkan) you used to open your bank account.
* When closing bank accounts used to pay for your mobile phone or other bills, be sure to inform the relevant companies that you have closed your bank account.
* Do not discard bank books or bank cards in the trash.
* If you do not properly close your bank accounts, you can be held liable if someone else accesses or misuses your account. For your own protection, please be sure to close your accounts.

Closing your bank account

At City Hall (for international students)

Submitting a Departure Notification or Move-out Notification

If you intend to leave Japan, go to your local city hall within two weeks before your date of departure to submit a departure notification. If you will remain in Japan but will move to a different municipality, submit a move-out notification.

Return your National Health Insurance Identification Certificate (Health insurance card)

You may be able to apply for a refund of insurance premiums there.

You will need your Residence card, National Health Insurance Identification Certificate and the stamp (inkan) you used to sign up for the health insurance.

At the Airport (for international students leaving Japan after graduation)

Return your residence card at immigration as you depart Japan to have student visa invalidated.

Please note this applies to international students who are leaving Japan.

At the Immigration Bureau (for international students remaining in Japan after graduation)

(If remaining for work) Apply to change your status of residence.

Click here for details.

(If extending your stay in Japan to prepare for your return home or for other reasons) Apply to change your status of residence.

Click here for details.
* After graduating, you are prohibited from working or looking for work with a college student visa.

Other Items

Send a thank you letter to any organizations or individuals that have provided you with a scholarship or other support.

Jan 7, 2015

Student organizations who want to use the Student Union and
sports facilities for the Spring Vacation from Feb. 7, 2015 to Apr. 6, 2015,
need to confirm their reservation period, and make reservations using the reservation
book at the counter in the Student Office.
 *This does not include classroom reservations.

[Reservation Period]
Premier Organizations: 7/Jan/2015(Wed) 10:00 – 20/Jan(Tue) 16:30
Other Organizations:  14/Jan/2015(Wed) 10:00– 20/Jan(Tue) 16:30

And also attend the facility meeting.
Understand that you cannot use facilities if you are absent from this meeting.

Facility Meeting
Wed, 21 Jan 2015
*Organizations who use the Student Union: 10:00-
*Organizations who use the gym, ground, or tennis court: 11:00-

Place: Students Union I, 2F Conference Room (E Building)
*The meeting will start on time. Do NOT be late!
*If any organizations have a scheduling conflict, the organizations must negotiate a solution among themselves; therefore, your organization should have someone who can negotiate for you attend the meeting.

Student Office
Email: (shared mail))

  1. 1

Back to TOP