Work Permits for International Students (Applying for a "Permit to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted")

Share on:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LINE

Part time jobs

All international students have permission to be in Japan (a visa) for the purpose of studying at a university. If an international student wants to do something not covered by their visa – like work a part time job, serve as a TA, take an internship, or participate in certain local exchange events – they must first apply for and get a work permit. You can apply for a work permit even if you haven't found a part-time job or an internship yet, so we recommend applying for one in advance.

In order to work, you must:

  • 1.

    Have a valid work permit

  • 2.

    Be a current student at APU
    (does not include withdrawals or leave of absence)

Number of Hours Allowed / Prohibited Jobs and Businesses

The number of hours you can work when you have a work permit is restricted as shown below. Work or other for profit activities must not interfere with your original visa status.
Working more hours than permitted is against the law, and can result in deportation and refused entry to Japan for a period of five years under the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.

Hours allowed under a work permit:

  • During the semester when classes are in session:
    No more than 8 hours per day and no more than 28 hours per week.
  • During long breaks:
    No more than 8 hours per day and no more than 40 hours per week.

Prohibited Jobs and Businesses

You cannot do any type of work that is not allowed by your work permit. Students with a work permit are prohibited from working for businesses like those listed below, even in jobs like cleaning or washing dishes.

  • Adult entertainment businesses
    (e.g. adult bathhouses like soapland or "soap", massage parlors, or strip clubs).
  • Businesses that mainly serve alcohol, (e.g. bars, pubs, or izakaya), or directly serving food or drink to customers in business like cabarets, bars, "snacks" or "snack bars", host clubs, or hostess clubs.
  • Mahjong parlors, pachinko parlors, or game centers.
  • Working in multilevel sales.
  • Buying and reselling goods. Examples of this can include taking orders for goods over the internet from overseas and delivering the goods by post or personal delivery.

Examples of Working Illegally

Violating any of the restrictions in (1) - (4) below is illegal, and can result in deportation and refused entry to Japan for a period of five years under the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.

  • (1) Working without a valid work permit
  • (2) Working while not a current student at APU (leave of absence, withdrawal).
  • (3) Working more than allowed by your work permit.
  • (4) Working in jobs prohibited by your work permit.

The "My Number" System

With the introduction of the Social Security and Tax Number System (or "My Number" System), it is very easy to determine where you work, when you work, and how much you earn. You can face severe penalties including deportation if it can be shown that you have broken the law. When you work, follow the guidelines above to avoid any problems.

Appling for a work permit

How to Apply
Per an agreement between the Immigration Bureau and APU, work permit applications must be submitted through the university. Make sure to submit your application through APU, as the Immigration Bureau will not accept it even if you go there to submit it in person.

Carefully read the Work Permit Application Guidelines below, download and print the Work Permit Application Forms, and follow the instructions in the Sample Work Permit Application before submitting your completed application to the Student Office.

You must bring all of the following documents to the Student Office to apply for a work permit:


Work Permit Application (3 forms) ※ fill in with a black pen.( non-erasable ink types only)

  • Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted",
  • "Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted (Work Permit) Checklist", and
  • "Proof of Passport & Residence Card Entrustment".
2 A copy of your residence card or alien registration card (both front and back).
3 Your residence card. NOTE:
The University will take your residence card and passport to send them to Immigration with your application.
4 Your passport.

Receiving your Residence Card and Work Permit

It typically takes about three weeks from when you submit your application until your work permit is ready. We will contact you via an “Action Required” over the Campus Terminal when your residence card, passport, and work permit are ready.

Applying for an “Individual Permission” for engaging in an internship

If you wish to engage in an internship that exceeds 28 hours per week excluding the periods of long-term leave, you must individually receive “permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence of more than 28 hours per week” (Individual Permission for engaging in an internship).
In order to receive this permission, you must fulfill both of the following criteria;

1. Those who are in their 4th year of university for undergraduate students and those in their 2nd year of graduate school for graduate school students at the time of internship
2. Those who have achieved most of the credits required for graduation (90% or more of the credits required for graduation).

(Reference: Immigration Services Agency Homepage

If you would like to apply for this permission, please apply from the following form;
Application Form


Please enter search keywords