- Message from the Dean
- Vision, Mission,
and Core Values from 2023
- International Accreditation
- Beta Gamma Sigma
from the DeanMESSAGE
Welcome to APU School of Management!
If one thing stands out to me at APU School of Management, it's the people.The School of Management is proud to be a place where people come together from across the globe and aspire to make a difference. We believe that business is a powerful force to change our world for the better, and that's why our students are global thinkers, visionaries, and catalysts for positive change. I invite you to meet them, to learn about our new Vision, Mission, and Core Values from 2023, and to explore all that the College of International Management (APM) and Graduate School of Management (GSM) have to offer.
Dean, School of Management(APM & GSM)
ALCANTARA Lailani L.
and Core Values from 2023
A leading diverse and inclusive learning hub in Asia Pacific, building a network of global thinkers and catalysts of positive change through business.
To create a fusion of cultures that nurtures globally competent and socially responsible leaders who thrive in our changing interconnected world and take action toward inclusion and sustainability.
Leadership, Diversity & Inclusion, Creativity & Innovation, Global Aspiration, Social Responsibility
- Further evolve as a vision-driven and mission-oriented business school.
- Enhance student success.
- Enhance faculty development for research, education, and professional engagements.
- Cultivate collaborations and partnerships.
- Build a more inclusive culture.
- Enhance local and global competence.
Who we areA leading diverse and inclusive learning hub in Asia Pacific
- We believe that business is a powerful force to change our world for the better.
- We build a learning hub where knowledge is created and ideas are exchanged to tackle business and societal challenges of today and tomorrow.
- We connect unique and diverse groups of students, faculty, staff, and partners who strive for excellence and collectively create a community that cultivates leadership, respect fordifferences, social responsibility, innovation, and global aspiration.
- We advance diversity and inclusion in business and society.
- We create and deepen connections within Asia Pacific and beyond.
What we doCreate a fusion of cultures
- We integrate and leverage diversity in cultures across countries, social groups, and disciplines for richer learning and creation of new value.
- We nurture leaders who transform businesses and economies in their own society and the world.
Being in Asia Pacific informs our pedagogy and research;
it is not our boundary. We introduce the rich cultures and diverse perspectives of the Asia Pacific for a deeper understanding of our interconnected world.
The College of International Management and the Graduate School of Management have earned two international accreditations, in addition to joining the PRME(Principles for Responsible Management Education) community in May 2021, making APU one of three such institutions in Japan.
In August 2020, the Graduate School of Management (GSM) at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) earned accreditation from the Association of MBAs (AMBA), a U.K.-based international accreditation agency for graduate level management education, thus recognizing APU as a provider of world-class MBA education. Only 277 business schools, or 2% of the world's business schools, have AMBA accreditation, and GSM is just the second business school in Japan to earn accreditation from AMBA. This accreditation demonstrates that APU's MBA program offers students an education aligned with the highest global standards and will prove beneficial to students seeking employment or further education in Japan or around the world upon graduation. Earning AMBA accreditation will invigorate APU's interactions with other AMBA-accredited institutions in 75 countries and regions around the globe.
What is AMBA accreditation?
Established in London, England in 1967, the Association of MBAs is one of the world's most prestigious accreditation agencies for management education. AMBA only accredits master's degree (MBA, MBM) and doctoral degree (DBA) programs in management education. To obtain accreditation, an institution must clear a strict screening of 10 criteria pertaining to educational content, faculty, students, and other factors. To maintain its accreditation, the institution must undergo a re-accreditation process within a certain period of time determined by AMBA, all the while striving to maintain and improve the quality of its programs.
In August of 2016, the School of Management (SOM) at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) was awarded accreditation by AACSB International, a global membership organization of educational institutions, businesses, and
other entities committed to the advancement of management education.
AACSB-accredited business schools are required to provide high-quality management education and continuously improve. SOM was the third institution in Japan to receive this accreditation and the second to receive accreditation for both its undergraduate and graduate programs. This accreditation confirms that SOM provides world-class management education. In order to maintain its accreditation, SOM must undergo a review every five years to confirm that it fulfills AACSB's strict criteria and show improvement since the previous review. In October of 2022, SOM was reaccredited, thereby maintaining its place amongst the 6% of business school programs worldwide to have earned AACSB and making APU one of only 6 universities in Japan to earn this accreditation.
What is AACSB?
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) is a global membership organization of educational institutions, businesses, and other entities committed to the advancement of management education. Established in 1916, AACSB provides its members with a variety of products and services to assist them with the continuous improvement of their business schools.
APU College of International Management and Graduate School of Management (GSM) has joined the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) community. PRME is a global engagement platform for academic institutions to promote socially and environmentally responsible management education which was coordinated by the UN Global Compact in 2007. The Six Principles of PRME allow institutions to reflect on how they implement the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and align their teachings with the UN Compact. With this pledge, APU takes yet another step toward empowering its students to change the world for the better. As of 2023, over 800 schools have made this same pledge, and APU is one of only three institutions in Japan to join the PRME community.
Beta Gamma Sigma (Honor Society)
About Beta Gamma Sigma
What is Beta Gamma Sigma?
Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) is the international honor society serving business programs accredited by Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, which invites outstanding business schools to establish their collegiate chapters. Since its founding in 1913, BGS has recognized the outstanding academic achievements of collegiate business and management students. Only the top students of these programs are invited to join BGS. As of April 2022, BGS boasts more than 900,000 members in 600 chapters in 190 countries and regions. Students who join while in school earn lifetime membership. In addition, BGS has 32 alumni chapters and 16 networking groups around the world.
The Mission of BGS
The Mission of the International Honor Society Beta Gamma Sigma is to encourage and honor academic achievement in the study of business, to cultivate and celebrate leadership and professional excellence, to advance the values of the Society, and to serve its lifelong members.
The Society’s Mission is supported by the following objectives:
- Encourage and honor academic achievement by students of business and management through chapters in business programs accredited by AACSB International
- Develop Beta Gamma Sigma members as student and professional leaders, and celebrate continuing leadership and excellence
- Foster in Beta Gamma Sigma members an enduring commitment to the founding principles and values of the Society: honor and integrity, the pursuit of wisdom, earnestness, and service
- Connect Beta Gamma Sigma student and alumni members to each other and to opportunities in their professional lives
BGS Induction at APU
Advantages and Obligations of BGS Membership Advantages
- Students can network with other members who are also the best among AACSB-accredited business schools around the globe.
- There are several events and programs limited to members.
- Members gain access to the Beta Gamma Sigma Career Resource Center.
- Some graduate schools offer scholarship programs exclusively for members.
- Some graduate schools waive GMAT scores or application fees for prospective students who are members.
- Students need to pay a one-time lifetime membership fees of 75 USD* upon joining BGS.
*Membership fee as of April 2022.
Selecting Candidates for the APU Chapter
Selection at APU takes place twice each year, in the spring and fall semesters. Selection will take place in the sixth semester for undergraduate students, and in the third semester for graduate students. The top 10% of students as determined by cumulative GPA at the end of their fifth semester for undergraduate students, or second semester for graduate students, will be nominated to BGS. In general, students must have a status of “Regular” or “Study Abroad” at the time of selection.
Becoming a BGS member
BGS will send invitation letters to all nominated students. If a student decides to join BGS, they will need to complete the profile form and pay a one-time lifetime fee of 75 USD. The APU chapter will hold a recognition ceremony each semester to congratulate the new members of BGS.
About BGS APU Chapter
BGS APU Chapter and its activities
- APU established its BGS Chapter—the first ever in Japan—in May 2017.
- As of April 2022, the number of current BGS members enrolled at APU is 72, and the number of BGS alumni is 139.
- The APU Chapter organizes BGS gatherings twice each year at APU’s graduation and induction ceremonies respectively.
- A Student Officer group was established in 2018.
- The Student Officers have been working for the APU chapter to promote BGS and increase its recognition on campus, and also to organize events.
Networking with APU Chapter alumni
The APU Chapter created a BGS Directory to connect currently enrolled BGS members with BGS alumni for networking purposes. All BGS alumni included in the Directory have given their consent, and only APU Chapter members may access the contact list. The details of the BGS Directory is delivered to mainly current APU Chapter members. Please contact the BGS Secretariat at the APU Chapter if you have difficulty finding the details of directory.
Office of the President: firstname.lastname@example.org