What is the “Honors Program for Global Citizenship?”
- Program Philosophy
APU’s expectations are that students in the HPGC will take full advantage of the university’s multicultural environment and grow into ideal students such as those outlined below through the program.
- HPGC Vision/Mission Statement
- HPGC is a community of aspiring global change-makers, whose knowledge, skills, and service mind shall have significant impact in the society, specifically by strengthening the ties between APU students, faculty and staff, and local and global regions. With peer-leadership developed in APU’s global learning community, HPGC students strive to become role model figures by showing excellence in academic, cross-cultural, and service learning capacities.
- Ideal Students that APU Seeks to Realize through HPGC
- Students who have an understanding of APU’s core ideals of “Freedom, Peace and Humanity,” “International Mutual Understanding” and “Future Shape of the Asia Pacific Region;” possess a strong will to grow into “graduates with the skills to contribute to the future shape of the Asia Pacific Region;” and are unceasing in their efforts.
- Students who are capable of working together with various fellow students and faculty and staff members within APU’s multicultural environment.
- Students who possess a strong set of ethics as role models for other APU students as well as a personal policy of doing good for other students, APU and their community rather than solely pursuing personal gain.
While the HPGC affords students in the program a variety of tools in the form of specially-planned activities, opportunities and networks, what the program asks of those students is not that they passively engage in it, but that they maintain an “autonomous spirit” through which they learn, plan and manage their endeavors of their own accord. APU also hopes that through the HPGC, students will gain an “altruistic spirit” through which they give their takeaways from this special program back to others (such as other students, APU and the community).