Student Blog

Study Abroad in Malaysia! The Long Road to Visa Acquisition


Hello, this is Mizuho, and I am currently studying in Malaysia! It has been over six months since I came to Malaysia, and while I'm still struggling with the spicy cuisine, I'm enjoying my time with new friends.

In this article, I will share my journey to obtain a visa for studying in Malaysia, for the benefit of students who might be considering studying abroad. Please note that the visa application process may vary depending on your chosen study abroad destination, so use this article as a reference to prepare for the necessary documentation and time requirements.

Visas Required for Study Abroad:

In a nutshell, if you are a Japanese student planning to study in Malaysia, you will need two types of visas:

  1. Student Visa: This is required for study durations exceeding 90 days. With this visa, you can work part-time locally, and it is initially valid for up to 1 year, with the possibility of extending it for a maximum of 2 years.
  2. Single Entry Visa (SEV): You can apply for this only after obtaining the Electronic Visa Approval Letter (eVAL) through your student visa application.
    Now, let's go through the steps for obtaining these visas.

Student Visa

  1. Once you decide to study abroad, you'll receive an email from the Academic Office Exchange Coordinator. Follow their instructions and provide your passport number by the specified deadline. The coordinator will then create a Certification Letter and send you the course registration form for your host institution.
  2. Submit the required documents to the coordinator within the deadline and wait for communication from your host university.
    (List of required documents) *This is for my university, so please check your university.

    • Course registration form for study abroad destination
    • Certification Letter (Certificate of Study Abroad) issued by APU
    • Resume (simple resume)
    • English score certificate
    • Student ID photo
    • Recommendation letter from an APU professor
    • Face/ID photo
    • Passport photo
  3. You'll receive a Letter of Acceptance, a health examination form, an academic calendar, and instructions for applying for a Student Pass from your host university.
  4. Once you have all the necessary documents, proceed with the application. Fill in the information accurately on the Education Malaysia Global Service (EMGS) website. Pay close attention to the photo requirements for the application.
  5. Pay the visa application fee in Malaysian ringgit (RM), which can be done via credit/debit card or bank transfer. Ensure you have a suitable card, and be mindful of payment deadlines.
  6. About two weeks after the application, you'll receive further instructions. Check your application status on the website under the Track My Application section.
    Check Application Status (

Single Entry Visa (SEV)

  1. After completing the student visa application and obtaining eVAL, visit the MYVISA website to proceed with the SEV application.

    (List of required documents) *In my case

    • Acceptance letter of study abroad destination
    • Passport
    • Visa Approval Letter (eVAL)
  2. Provide all required information and make the payment using a credit/debit card or bank transfer.
  3. After payment, verify that your application is correct, and keep an eye on your email for the receipt.

Once both of these applications are completed, you will need to submit your passport to your host university in Malaysia and complete necessary procedures. About one month after arrival in Malaysia, your student visa status should reach 100% (complete).

This concludes the process for obtaining a visa for Malaysia. While it may be worrisome if your student visa is not completed while you are in Japan, rest assured that if you follow the necessary steps, you will be able to enter Malaysia safely. We are looking forward to your arrival!

For my previous article about "Why I chose Malaysia", click here.

Mizuho Ueno
Mizuho Ueno

Hello, everyone! My name is Mizuho, and I am a 3nd year student in the College of Asia Pacific Studies. And I am studying abroad in Malaysia from Spring 2023.My hobbies are dancing, getting in touch with nature, and playing with animals! I used to do aikido, so I'm strong! :) I hope to interact with many people through SPA activities!

  • LINEで送る